May 17, 2019

Looking Back - I Know This Much Is True

Looking Back... In an effort to transfer my book journal entries over to this blog, I'm going to attempt to post (in chronological order) an entry every Friday. I may or may not add extra commentary to what I jotted down in these journals.




I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb
Fiction
1998 Regan Books
Finished in August 1998
Rating: 4.5/5 (Very Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

On the afternoon of October 12, 1990, my twin brother, Thomas, entered the Three Rivers, Connecticut, public library, retreated to one of the rear study carrels, and prayed to God the sacrifice he was about to commit would be deemed acceptable. . . .

One of the most acclaimed novels of our time, Wally Lamb's I Know This Much Is True is a story of alienation and connection, devastation and renewal, at once joyous, heartbreaking, poignant, mystical, and powerfully, profoundly human.

My Original Notes (1998):

Very good, in spite of its length! I enjoyed reading Dominick's grandfather's memories. Nice device and well done. I'm glad it had a nice ending. Dominick had been through so much and was trying to become a better person - he deserved some happiness. I also liked the character of Dr. Patel. She seemed very real and worked hard to help Dominick heal himself.

Multi-dimensional characters.


My Current Thoughts:

I've had this on my shelf for over 20 years, always hoping to give it a second read. It's a chunkster (897 pages), but the type isn't too small, so it may be a good choice for a road trip read. I don't remember too much about it, but I do recall that I admired Dr. Patel and that I loved the novel. 

10 comments:

  1. I think I've read ALL this author has written, but his earliest books are favorites!

    PS = I love your spring header, so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, I've only read this one and She's Come Undone, both of which were very good. I'd like to try more of his fiction, but for some reason I'm not drawn to his nonfiction works.

      Thanks for your comment on my header. I took that picture when we were on our 3-week road trip last month. I was riding my bike near Sequim, Washington and there were tulips planted all along the bike trail for miles and miles. So lovely on a somewhat gloomy day. I'm hoping to write about that trip sometime soon.

      Delete
  2. I remember reading this and liking it too. However, I remember very little about the story. Probably not on my list for a reread. Too many others I'd go to first. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, I flipped through the book, reading a paragraph here and there and it's definitely one I will read again! I'm discovering that when I re-read a book, I take it slow and enjoy the story, not rushing to reach the ending. I've been re-reading At Home in Mitford for months! :)

      Delete
  3. I loved this book, too and have hung on to it all these years in hopes of a reread. Will probably donate it to the library book sale this summer and get the ebook when I'm ready to reread... adjustable font is becoming more and more important! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, it's a great book, isn't it? I was surprised that my copy doesn't have a super tiny font. It seems like so many chunksters do, doesn't it? I may start rereading it later this year. I've really been enjoying writing this weekly post, as it inspires me to read some old favorites a second time.

      Delete
  4. I never did get around to this one when it came out but would still like to check it out. Granted at that many pages it may be a while before I get to it. I tend to stay away from the chunksters lately!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, maybe it's worth getting on audio. It's really very good and even though it's long, I do remember that it was not easy to put it down and it didn't take long to finish.

      Delete
  5. I loved both She's Come Undone and I Know This Much Is True. Although I've read She's Come Undone three times in 20 years, I've yet to reread I Know This Much Is True—I'm not sure why! But you've got me thinking to get back to it.
    I also read Wishin' and Hopin', and it was delightful (and much, much shorter!). :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurel, I'm impressed! I'm lucky if I re-read a book once and can only think of a couple that I've read more than that. I wonder if Wishin' and Hopin' shows up in one my of reading journals. I think I might have read it, but I'm not certain. He is a wonderful writer, isn't he?

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!