May 3, 2019

Looking Back - Out of Canaan

Looking Back... In an effort to transfer my book journal entries over to this blog, I'm going to attempt to post (in chronological order) an entry every Friday. I may or may not add extra commentary to what I jotted down in these journals.



Out to Canaan by Jan Karon
Mitford Series #4
Fiction
1997 Penguin Books
Finished in June 1998
Rating: 4/5 (Very Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

Father Tim, the Episcopal rector, and his talented and vivacious wife, Cynthia, are pondering the murky uncertainties of retirement. They're also trying to locate the scattered siblings of Dooley Barlowe, the mountain boy they love as their own. A brash new mayoral candidate is calling for aggressive development, and a tough survivor must hunker down for the fight of her life. Worse, the Sweet Stuff Bakery may be closing, and a suspicious real estate agent is trying to turn the beloved house on the hill into a spa. Can change be coming to Mitford? The buzz on Main Street says yes. Change is certainly coming to the tenderest regions of several townspeople's lives. A woman struggles every day to stay on course after years of hard living. A man tries to forgive himself for a tragic mistake. And the town's most eligible bachelor leaves Mitford -- and returns with a stunning surprise.

My Original Notes (1998):

Just as wonderful as the other three in the Mitford series! I hope there will be more. Wonderful characters. Touching episodes of life in a small town.


My Current Thoughts:

I'm re-reading the first book in this series (At Home in Mitford) and will most likely continue revisiting the series over the next year or two.

6 comments:

  1. These books are so refreshing, especially in light of today's political climate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, they really are! I've been slowly re-reading the first in the series, just a chapter or two every night. Very calming.

      Delete
  2. I remember loving this series! Just looked it up on goodreads and found that there are over a dozen of them now. Think I only read five or six. My mother loved them, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, I only read five or six, myself. I'm enjoying my re-read of the first in the series, but maybe not quite as much as the first time around

      Delete
  3. I think this is probably where I stopped reading the series. Dooley is such a great character. I wouldn't mind going back to revisit the characters. These are such heart-warming books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, I think I read the next two, but I wasn't as enthusiastic about the series the further along I read. Yes, Dooley is a great character and I loved Cynthia. I'm slowly re-reading the first in the series, just a few pages every night before I start in on my other reading. I like the gentleness of Karon's writing.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!