June 11, 2019

Hunted on the Fens



Hunted on the Fens (DI Nikki Galena, #3) by Joy Ellis
Mystery
2017 Tantor Audio
Read by Henrietta Meire
Finished on June 8, 2019
Rating: 3/5 (Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

A vicious criminal is targeting DI Nikki Galena and her team. One by one he will hunt them down and destroy their lives, unless she can stop him first.

DI Nikki Galena faces her toughest challenge yet. Can she save her team and herself from a cruel and determined adversary who will stop at nothing to harm Nikki and her colleagues? First she must work out who wants revenge against her or one of her detectives. Full of twists and turns, this is a crime novel that will have you turning the pages until the stunning ending.

And what is the connection between the series of attacks on the police and the mystery of woman found dead in a seemingly impregnable locked room? Find out in this tense and exciting detective thriller.

THE DETECTIVE DI Nikki Galena: A police detective with nothing left to lose, she’s seen a girl die in her arms, and her daughter will never leave the hospital again. She’s got tough on the criminals she believes did this to her.

HER PARTNER DS Joseph Easter is the squeaky-clean new member of the team. But his nickname “Holy Joe” belies his former life as a soldier. He has an estranged daughter who blames him for everything that went wrong with their family.

THE SETTING The Lincolnshire Fens: great open skies brood over marshes, farmland, and nature reserves. It is not easy terrain for the Fenland Constabulary to police, due to the distances between some of the remote Fen villages, the dangerous and often misty lanes, and the poor telephone coverage. There are still villages where the oldest residents have never set foot outside their own farmland and a visit to the nearest town is a major event. But it has a strange airy beauty to it, and above it all are the biggest skies you’ve ever seen.

I enjoyed listening to the previous two books in Joy Ellis' Nikki Galena series, but this installment took me over a month to finish and while I enjoyed it, I didn't think it was great. That may have something to do with the fact that I was also reading a Louise Penny mystery, which held my interest much better than this book. Also, the reader for this series has begun to sound flat and monotone when she read the men's dialogue, which I found very annoying. If I continue with the series, I will switch to the printed books rather than listen to the audios. 

6 comments:

  1. A narrator can make or break a book for me. I'm struggling with an audio right now because of the narrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, I don't know why this reader's voice has started to bother me now. She read the previous book in the series and I don't recall that it annoyed me then. Luckily, my current book (Blue Highways) is read by a marvelous reader (Joe Barrett) and it's very enjoyable.

      Delete
  2. Yes, sometimes the narrator of books gets annoying. I've read all the books in this series, some in print and some on audio. I keep meaning to try another series by Joy Ellis. Jenclair is the one that clued me in to this author and she likes another series by Ellis as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, I'm hoping I can get the remaining books at my library so I can read them. If not, I guess I'll stick with the audios. I really like the characters and want to see what's in store for them. I'll bet the other series are just as good!

      Delete
  3. I always admire your willingness/ability to listen to books on audio. I just lose track of everything, or fall asleep, when I try. The only exception is with The Room, whose narration of the child’s voice was breathtaking. If not, of course, heartbreaking. I want to read Louise Penny, as I replied to you on the comment you left on my blog. This would be a good summer to do just that! I think my sister in law has started from the first and is working her way through just as you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meredith, I love audio books. Sometimes, though, it's just better to read the book in print, although I never know until I begin. I typically listen while driving to town for groceries or while out on a walk along the bluff. Definitely not as much listen time as in years past, though.

      A word of advice about Louise Penny's books. Read them in order, but don't worry too much about #1 and #2. I don't think they're very good and she does a remarkable job with backstory, so you never feel like you've missed something.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!