August 4, 2019

A Month in Summary - July 2019

Quigg Lake
Montesanto, Washington


I always think that summer lasts a full three months and I suppose it does, but several of my friends are already talking about their children heading back to school in less than two weeks. Growing up in California, school always started the day after Labor Day and ended in the middle of June. Schools in the Midwest begin and end a full month ahead of that schedule. This past week, we have had nothing but gorgeous summer-like weather here on the Oregon coast, so in my mind, autumn is several months away.

I continue to do a lot of reading in the evening, finishing six books this month (for a total of 37 for the year), but we also watched A LOT of movies in July. Most were just ok, but there were a couple that were very good. We still want to get back to Game of Thrones and I'm tempted to buy the remaining DVDs (Seasons 4-8) so we can binge on them while traveling to California next month.  

Books Read in July (click on titles for my review):

The Girl He Used to Know by Tracey Garvis Graves

How the Light Gets In by Louise Penny

Blue Highways: A Journey into America by William Least Heat-Moon

Pachinko by Min Jin Lee

Night of Miracles by Elizabeth Berg

As We Are Now by May Sarton


First Lines:

I run into him at Mariano's, of all places. I'm poking around in the freezer case, searching for the strawberries I put in my morning smoothie, when a man's voice somewhere off to my right says, "Annika?" He sounds unsure. (The Girl He Used to Know)

Audrey Villeneuve knew what she imagined could not possibly be happening. She was a grown woman and could tell the difference between real and imagined. But each morning as she drove through the Ville-Marie Tunnel from her home in east-end Montreal to her office, she could see it. Hear it. Feel it happening. (How the Light Gets In)

Beware thoughts that come in the night. They aren't turned properly; they come in askew, free of sense and restriction, deriving from the most remote of sources. Take the idea of February 17, a day of canceled expectations, the day I learned my job teaching English was finished because of declining enrollment at the college, the day I called my wife from whom I'd been separated for nine months to give her the news, the day she let slip about her "friend" - Rick or Dick or Chick. Something like that. (Blue Highways: A Journey into America)

History has failed us, but no matter. (Pachinko)

After she has dried and put away her supper dishes, Lucille Howard sits at her kitchen table and contemplates what do do with another empty evening. A few years back, she might have sat out on the front porch with her former neighbor and then roommate, Arthur Moses, a man too good of heart for this world, in Lucille's opinion, though she and many others profited plenty from his continual kindness. (Night of Miracles)

I am not mad, only old. I make this statement to give me courage. To give you an idea what I mean by courage, suffice it to say that it has taken two weeks for me to obtain this notebook and a pen. I am in a concentration camp for the old, a place where people dump their parents or relatives exactly as though it were an ash can. (As We Are Now)

Movies & TV Series:




The Old Man & the Gun - Odd, yet endearing. I enjoyed this one! Sissy Spacek is wonderful.



The Night Manager - Finished! The two episodes were so intense and suspenseful, I almost couldn't watch a couple of scenes. Highly recommend.



Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse - Silly, silly movie.



Rolling Thunder Revue: A Bob Dylan Story - I've never been a huge fan of Dylan's, but we thought this might be a good flick. I thought it was pretty good and probably would have enjoyed it even more so had I not been stung by two wasps earlier in the afternoon. I was pretty sleepy after taking a couple of benadryl and dozed off during part of the movie. I'm almost tempted to watch it again.



Aquaman - Wish I had slept through this one! Blah.



Mary Poppins Returns - This was a cute sequel and I enjoyed Lin-Manuel Miranda ("Jack") and Meryl Streep ("Cousin Topsy"), but none of the songs were remarkable enough to go down in music history like the ever-so-catchy "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious."



Bohemian Rhapsody - Outstanding! I was never a huge fan of Queen, but I knew many of their hits and enjoyed the soundtrack, as well as learning more about Freddie's life. The final scenes of the Live Aid concert tugged at my heartstrings. This is one to watch a second time.



The Wife - I haven't read the book and probably won't, but this was a good film. In a way, it felt like we were watching a play rather than a movie. Glenn Close is very good!

No visitors or trips this month, but the days were busy and full with pickleball, yoga, mahjong, yardwork and various doctor appointments. Now to get busy and finish our travel plans for our big road trip. I've got the outbound adventure to San Diego planned, but nothing reserved for the return trip. It's tempting to leave our options wide open, but we have a few places we need to be, so I'll get to work on RV Trip Wizard and at least get it mapped out.

12 comments:

  1. I liked The Wife on audio but haven't seen the movie. Good moth Les.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, now that I've seen the movie, I have no desire to read/listen to the book, but I can imagine it was good. Yes, I had a pretty great month, once again! I'm not reading as much as I thought I would in retirement, but I'm reading more than I was when I was working, which is nice. Life is full and busy!

      Delete
  2. I am a huge Queen fan, but don't want to see the movie! I just watch old performances on youtube. What a talent he was.
    I always went to school after Labor Day, and I think the kids did early on. Now everyone begins the week before. My cousins in Texas always began in August, but I thought the reason was the heat. But isn't there heat in August. Confusing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan, I really enjoyed the movie and am curious why you don't want to see it. Yes, he was an amazing talent!

      Yes, it's hot in August, so I don't understand why the kids continue to start school so early. I know a lot of the schools on this coast don't start until after Labor Day. It is confusing.

      Delete
    2. I am not a bio-pic girl. Documentaries, I like, but not stories of lives with actors. I know, I know, your long-time pal is weird!

      Delete
    3. Not weird at all! You like what you like. :)

      Delete
  3. I wonder if your summer will end early in Oregon. I'm sure it would be shorter than our extended summer (some would say we have half a year of summer) in Texas. It sounds like you have had a lovely July. We rarely go to the movies, though there is a good $5/a ticket theater here in my town. We tend to wait for movies to appear on Netflix or Amazon Prime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, everyone says September and October are the best months here on the Oregon coast. The weather is wonderful and the days are full of sunshine. We were traveling all of that time last year and will be gone again this year, so we'll miss out. But I remember those long, hot summers when we lived near Fort Worth. Summer started in March and didn't quit until October! I've never lived anywhere so hot for so long! Yep, we never go to the movies anymore either. We prefer to watch with subtitles and like the comfort of our own home over a noisy theater.

      Delete
  4. How did I miss The Night Manager? I love Hugh Laurie! Thanks for the heads up. Gage starts 3rd grade in a week and a half :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacy, The Night Manager was quite good, but fairly intense toward the end. Hugh Laurie is great, as usual. Wow. 3rd grade already?! Good luck, mama. :)

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a wonderful month! I We did see The Night Manager and liked it quite a bit. I need to put The Wife on my list as I've always enjoyed Glenn Close. I'm looking forward to a couple of the books you mentioned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, it was certainly a busy month! :) The Wife was pretty good, but I didn't care for her husband at all. Of course, I wasn't supposed to.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!