March 7, 2020

California Road Trip 2019 - Tahoe

Sunday, October 6, 2019
Topaz Lake to Tahoe, CA
Fallen Leaf Campground
Site #58
Distance: 68 miles
Route: Hwy. 395 to Hwy. 50 to Hwy. 89
Duration: 1 night
Cost: $17 (with senior discount 50% off)
Weather: Sunny and mild

We had an easy drive to Carson City where we stopped to get gas at Costco and groceries at Walmart. The drive on Hwy. 50 to South Lake Tahoe was very pretty, but the area was super busy with tourists. There was a large Octoberfest celebration at Camp Richardson, which caused bumper-to-bumper traffic along our route to Fallen Leaf Campground. I noticed a nice bike trail running parallel to the road and made a mental note to get out for a ride later that afternoon.

We fell in love with this campground! It's incredibly beautiful with lots of trees and tons of space between sites. Our site, which was situated high up above Taylor Creek, was large enough for three RVs! I don't think we've ever been in a site so large except when we've boondocked. It would have been nice to walk down to the creek, but there were warning signs posted for bears in the area (the salmon were spawning), so we stayed away from the marked areas. We never did see a bear, which I suppose is a good thing, although I would have loved to have seen them catching fish in the water. 

Once we got settled, we took a walk to the lake, which is gorgeous. Trees, mountains and water; it doesn't get any better!




More fall colors.


Bear country!

Also, plague country!

Fallen Leaf Lake





Oh, to be on the water in a kayak!


Look at all that space!

Very nice bike trail.

This crazy guy flew right over our site.


Our pull-thru site was paved and level with a picnic table, fire ring, and bear box. No hook-ups or WiFi (and I don't remember if we had a cell signal), but there was a restroom with showers within walking distance. The camp store was closed for the season, so I wound up having to get quarters for the shower when I was out on my bike ride. With all the trees, we had plenty of shade and privacy. We will definitely return, especially with that great price for seniors! I loved riding my bike and could spend hours sitting by the lake with a good book. 

6 comments:

  1. I think it's great that you are noting down all this information. A real travel diary. Plague! I've never heard of one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, part travel diary and part reference for whenever we want to go back to some of our favorite campgrounds, as well as for anyone looking for suggestions. I'd heard of the plague, but never seen warnings at a campground!

      Delete
    2. Could you not bring your kayak when you travel? On the top?

      Delete
    3. Nan, I sold my kayak years ago when we were living in Nebraska. I only miss having it every now and then.

      Delete
  2. What a gorgeous campground! Thanks for taking the time to share your finds...it definitely helps us for future trip plans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurel, we loved Fallen Leaf CG and hope to return before too long. It would be a great spot in the off season, but while the weather is still warm. Mid-September would be just about perfect, I think.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!