May 24, 2020

Challah

(click on link for more information and history)

I think I have only tasted challah once and I never thought I was capable of making it; it looks so complicated with its fancy braid! I've made bread, but haven't had luck with biscuits or rolls, so this was a little intimidating. I shouldn't have worried. It was so easy and turned out perfectly! It isn't an eggy challah, so I may try other recipes, but if you don't mind the lack of egg flavor, give it a try. It will impress your dinner guests! And, as many have said, it's excellent for French Toast the following day.

I found this recipe on Bon Appetit's website. Senior editor Julia Kramer’s mother, Jill Weinberg, shared her family’s recipe. What a treat!

INGREDIENTS

2 ¼-ounce envelopes active dry yeast (about 4½ teaspoons)
2 teaspoons plus ¾ cup sugar
2 large eggs, beaten to blend
4¾ teaspoons kosher salt
½ cup shortening, melted, plus more for greasing (canola oil or butter)
7 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
2 large egg yolks
Sesame seeds (for serving)

PREPARATION

Whisk yeast, 2 tsp. sugar, and ¼ cup warm water in the bowl of a stand mixer (or a large bowl if kneading by hand). Let sit until foamy, about 10 minutes.

Whisk eggs, salt, ½ cup shortening, ¾ cup sugar, and 2 cups warm water in a medium bowl. Add egg mixture and 7 cups flour to yeast mixture. Beat with dough hook on medium speed until dough is smooth, elastic, and very sticky and pulls away from sides of bowl, about 10 minutes. (Alternatively, knead dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes.)

Grease a large bowl with shortening; transfer dough to bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit in a warm place until doubled in size, 1½–2 hours.

Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and divide into 6 equal portions. Shape each into a 17"-long rope.





Grease 2 rimmed baking sheets with shortening. Place 3 ropes side by side on each prepared sheet. Working with one at a time, pinch logs together at 1 end; braid, then pinch ends together and tuck under. Let sit in a warm place until 1½ times larger, about 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 325°. Beat egg yolks and 2 Tbsp. water in a small bowl. Working with one at a time, brush dough with egg wash and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake first loaf 15 minutes, then increase oven temperature to 425° (see my notes!) and continue baking until browned and sounds hollow when tapped, 15–20 minutes more. Let cool on baking sheet.




Reduce oven temperature to 325°, then leave oven door open 5 seconds to cool down. Repeat baking with remaining dough.

Do Ahead: Challah can be made 3 days ahead; keep tightly wrapped at room temperature, or freeze up to 1 month. Let cool before storing.

My Notes:

I cut the recipe in half since I wasn't sure how well I would like it and didn't want to use up our precious yeast (I prepared this during COVID-19 pandemic)! The above recipe is for two loaves. 

I read several comments about the oven temperature being too hot (at 425), so I baked the loaf at 325 for the first 10 minutes and then at 375 for 15-20 more minutes.

I also reduced the amount of water by about 1/4 cup for each loaf. So, if you make the regular recipe (for two loaves), I would recommend using 1 1/2 cups of water; for one loaf, I used 3/4. I also used about 4 cups of flour for my single loaf. 

I omitted the sesame seeds since I wanted to use some of the bread for French Toast. 


Please visit The Intrepid Reader for Weekend Cooking.
Weekend Cooking is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, fabulous quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend.

14 comments:

  1. Whoa, you did a great job! I can't make it because I have to make everything gluten free but I love bread! (You would think I would like ANY bread but oddly enough, since I don't have bread often, it makes me extra picky. Go figure!)
    Yours looks so good! I would enlarge that photo and hang it on my kitchen wall, I am serious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kay G. Oh, I feel for you having to go gluten free. I would really miss bread! Thanks for the compliment on the photo. You're so sweet!

      Delete
  2. It looks good. In my experience, 1 egg per loaf is pretty standard. Much more and it's closer to brioche. So your recipe and your bread look right to me. I'm used to braiding with 4 strands, and some people use more than that. Each type of braid is differently done, but the result is a much more elaborate surface on the bread.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your feedback, Mae! I have a friend who said her challah had 7 (or maybe it was 8!) egg yolks! I'm glad to know that this recipe is more to the traditional amounts. Interesting about braiding with more strands. I'm going to try a few more variations and see which I like best. Again, thanks for your help!

      Delete
  3. That looks so delicious! We have a bread making machine and I have to say the kitchen always smells so good when we make bread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, it was SO good!! I'm going to make more either tomorrow or later in the week.

      Delete
  4. Your challah loaf looks perfect! We used to make a non-sweet challah often from a recipe in Mollie Katzen's The Enchanted Broccoli Forest. Before we went to low-carb and gluten-free. Lucky you! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurie, I was so surprised that it turned out so beautifully! Oh, I really should go low-carb, but I do love my bread and pasta...

      Delete
    2. I understand! I still eat bread and pasta when we go out to eat!

      Delete
    3. Sounds like the perfect compromise, Laurie!

      Delete
  5. Wow! That loaf looks amazing! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks stunning. You should be very proud of your work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deb. It tasted just as good as it looks! I plan to make more soon.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!