May 16, 2020

Chicken Cordon Bleu Pasta


Chicken Cordon Bleu Pasta


I discovered this easy casserole on Taste and Tell and it's become a family favorite, although given the high fat content, we only have it a couple of times a year!

10 oz penne pasta
1/2 cup unsalted butter
2 cups heavy cream
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1 1/4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
8 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast, cooked and cubed or shredded
3/4 cup diced, cooked ham
4 oz bacon, cooked and crumbled
Sliced green onion, for garnish (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain and reserve.

Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the heavy cream, garlic and white pepper. Bring the mixture to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add 1 cup of the Mozzarella and 1/2 cup of the Parmesan. Stir to combine, then simmer for 5-10 minutes, stirring frequently.

Spray a 9×13-inch baking pan or deep casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.

Pour the cooked pasta, chicken, ham and bacon into the baking dish and stir to combine. Pour the cheese sauce over and stir to combine. Sprinkle the remaining Mozzarella and Parmesan on top of the pasta mixture.

Bake in the preheated oven until warmed through and the cheese on top is melted, about 15 minutes. 

Turn the heat to broil to brown the top, if desired.

Garnish with sliced green onion before serving.

My Notes:

If prepared and refrigerated in advance, allow more cooking time in order to heat completely.

I baked it in a covered dish and took the lid off when it was time to brown the top by broiling.

I've made this with and without the ham. I honestly didn't miss it when I left it out.

Make it easy by cooking the bacon in the oven ahead of time and use a rotisserie chicken.

Obviously, this is NOT low-cal, but if you're craving an easy comfort meal, this is delicious, especially with a small Caesar salad.




Please visit The Intrepid Reader for Weekend Cooking.
Weekend Cooking is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, fabulous quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend.

20 comments:

  1. As you say, that is a very indulgent recipe with all those meats! Looks good.

    be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae, even with just using chicken, there is so much fat with the butter, heavy cream and cheese. But it's delicious! :)

      Delete
  2. Looks like you found quite a delicious looking rich recipe! Sometimes you just have to have some!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judee, I agree. Moderation in all things, including moderation. :)

      Delete
  3. I think it's a good time for comfort food. Your meal looks delcious. I may try it soon once I can go shopping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina, it's really good! We certainly don't eat like this all the time, but every once in a while, why not, right?

      Delete
  4. That looks and sounds delicious! We're about to have pizza for lunch but I'd much rather this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, I suppose if you eliminate the heavy cream, it's not much worse than pizza, right? We all deserve a little comfort food now and then.

      Delete
  5. This looks so comforting. Glad to hear that it's fine without the ham, because I could see making this with leftovers after I roast a chicken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Candice, I doubt I'll make it again with ham, but I still like the addition of the bacon. It's a nice alternative to my mac & cheese recipe, too, which takes much longer to prep.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. It's really quite yummy, Carole. Even the leftovers are good!

      Delete
  7. This looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marg, it's really good! The sauce breaks down a bit when reheated, but the flavors are still delicious.

      Delete
  8. Sounds good! We don't have pasta too often anymore, but this seems worth the calories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurie, we don't have pasta too often either. This is pretty rich and decadent, so I doubt I'll make it more than a couple of times a year.

      Delete
  9. Oh, that looks delicious! The ultimate comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gilion, it's wonderful, although the leftovers aren't quite as creamy. Still worth saving for lunch the next day.

      Delete
  10. You've been giving us some cooking inspiration lately. I think we'd like this one so next shopping order I think I'll get what is needed; thanks for sharing. The NY Times Sunday edition has has some very good and easy dishes lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you are getting some good ideas, Diane. By the way, I've added a link in my sidebar to all of my recipes that I've shared on this blog. Just look for the image with the shelf of cookbooks.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!