May 8, 2020

Looking Back - The Book Club

Looking Back... In an effort to transfer my book journal entries over to this blog, I'm going to attempt to post (in chronological order) an entry every Friday. I may or may not add extra commentary to what I jotted down in these journals.




The Book Club by Mary Alice Monroe
Fiction
1999 Mira Books
Read in August 1999
Rating: 4/5 (Very Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

On the surface, it is a monthly book club. But for five women, it is so much more. For Eve Porter, whose husband's sudden death cheats her of every security she had planned on, the club is a place of sanctuary. For Annie Blake, a brilliant attorney intent on starting a family late in life, it is the chance to finally let down her guard and dream of other possibilities. For Doris Bridges, it is her support group as she acknowledges her dying marriage and finds the ultimate freedom in her husband's betrayal. For Gabriella Rivera, the "perfect" wife, mother and friend who offers support to everyone but is afraid to ask for it herself, it is a sense of community. And for Midge Kirsch, an artist who has always lived her life against the grain, it is a haven of acceptance.

They are five women from different walks of life, embracing the challenge of change. And as they share their hopes and fears and triumphs, they will hold fast to the true magic of the book club friendship.

My Original Thoughts (1999):

Very enjoyable! Another book about women and friendship. Five woman who have known each other for 15 years belong to a book group. Each has her own problems in life, yet their friendship helps them through the rough spots. A lovely retreat to one of the member's cabins in the woods reminded me of On Golden Pond. A very entertaining "fluff" read. Better than The Five Fortunes by Beth Gutcheon and just as good as The Saving Graces by Patricia Gaffney. Two thumbs up!

My Current Thoughts:

I only have a vague recollection of this book, but I must not have thought it was worth re-reading since I no longer own a copy.

6 comments:

  1. Les, I'm almost certain we read this book with an online group back in 1999. I remember liking it, but never reread it. I've also read and had good memories of The Saving Graces and Five Fortunes. Wonder if I'd like all of them again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, I'll bet we read all of these books for our online group back in 1999. I don't know how else I would have know about them. It's been a long time since I've picked up a "women's friendship" novel and, like you, I wonder if they would be as enjoyable as they were back then.

      Delete
  2. Another oldie I remember enjoying! We must have been reading a lot of the same books back then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, probably no different than now though, right? I got a lot of my recommendations from online book groups. This genre was very popular in the 90s.

      Delete
  3. I feel like I've read this book before or maybe another book with a very similar plot but now I'm curious. Will have to look through my shelves and reading lists. If I haven't read it, then I think this would be a good one when looking for a comfort read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, I wouldn't be surprised if there were other books with very similar plots! I think most of these "friendship" books would make for good comfort reading right about now.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!