May 2, 2020

Migas

Migas
Photo Credit: Pioneer Woman Cooks


I discovered this recipe in The Pioneer Woman Cooks several years ago. It's a great "Breakfast-For-Dinner" recipe that not only satisfies my craving for a taste of Tex-Mex, but is quick and easy. The leftovers are perfect for breakfast burritos the next day.

1 medium white onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
2-3 Roma tomatoes, chopped (discard any juice)
1-2 jalapenos, finely diced (remove seeds)
10-12 large eggs
1/4 cup half-and-half
Salt & pepper to taste
4 corn tortillas
Canola oil
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. butter
2 cups grated Mexican Cotija, Monterey Jack, or Pepper Jack cheese
1/4-1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1/4 cup sour cream
Avocado slices

Lightly beat the eggs and half-and-half in a bowl, adding salt and pepper to taste.

In a small skillet, fry the corn tortillas in canola oil until just crisp. Drain the tortillas on paper towels. Once cool enough to handle, chop the tortillas into bite-size pieces. Set aside.

In a large skillet over medium-high heat, saute the onion and bell pepper in the olive oil and butter until tender. Add the tomatoes and cook for another minute. Add the tortilla chips and jalapenos, stirring the mixture and reducing the heat to low. 

Pour the egg mixture into the skillet with the vegetables and tortilla chips. Gentle fold the mixture together, cooking the eggs slowly. Don't stir the eggs; just turn gently. 

When the eggs are cooked, add the cheese and cilantro. 

Serve with a dollop of sour cream, hot sauce or salsa, sliced avocado and a side of black or refried beans.

Serves 6

My Notes: 

The original recipe calls for one red bell pepper and one green bell pepper. I choose to use just one. I also prefer just a couple of tomatoes, instead of the all four.


Please visit Beth Fish Reads for Weekend Cooking.
Weekend Cooking is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, fabulous quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend.

24 comments:

  1. This sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marg, it's a nice twist on scrambled eggs! Good old comfort food.

      Delete
  2. Yes, this sounds like something I would like to try. I should know migas, but I don't. Thank you, Les.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, I had never heard of it until I saw the recipe in the cookbook. I've lived in San Diego and Fort Worth, and basically grew up on Mexican food, but never saw this on any menu. Go figure!

      Delete
  3. That looks and sounds yummy! I think I have that cookbook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, I have three of the PW cookbooks and need to start cooking from the newer ones. I've tried several recipes from her first book and have discovered a few winners. This is one!

      Delete
  4. I know you don't have to think about it but this recipe is gluten free also!
    (My husband has to have gluten free.)
    Hope you and your husband are healthy! Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay G. - Thanks for letting me know! Rod and I are staying healthy and safe. We're anxious to get back to our travels, but are quite happy here on the coast, too. Take care of yourself and your hubby!

      Delete
    2. Hope you both stay healthy and safe!
      By the way, I wonder if you could let Rod know that I am reading "The Shetland Bus" by David Howarth. (Same author who wrote "We Die Alone", one of my favorites.)
      Also, you might know this already but there is a TV series set in Shetland, and it is titled, as you might guess, "Shetland". It is very good! Take care! P.S. The Shetland Bus was just called that...it involved fishing boats (not for FISH!) from Norway to Shetland during WW2! He must know that but just wanted to make sure.

      Delete
    3. Kay G. I will let Rod know about The Shetland Bus. And, yes, we do know about Shetland, which we just recently enjoyed watching (I wrote about it on my monthly summary for April). It's a great show!

      Delete
  5. This sounds so good -- and you're right really easy. Good tip on how to use the leftovers the next day. I have one of the Pioneer Woman's cookbooks, but I'm not sure which one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Candace, I'm really into "easy" these days. I normally cook dinner 90% of the time, but for some reason, it's feeling like a bigger chore during COVID19. I'm trying to mix things up with simple meals such as this.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like such a rich delicious recipe, and as you said good for breakfast or dinner! I love your photo of the sunset (or sunrise?) . I live in Florida on the beach and it looks just like outside my window. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Judee. The photo is a sunset (we live on the Oregon coast) and I probably have hundreds of similar pictures. :) Yes, the migas dish is delicious and perfect for brunch or dinner. You can spice it up to your personal taste, too. We keep it pretty mild and serve salsa on the side. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  7. MIgas sounded familiar, so I checked around, and discovered that the term refers to using up leftovers -- in Spain and Portugal, various dishes using leftover or stale bread, in Mexico using leftover or stale tortillas. Just a fascinating variety of ways to be thrifty and having respect for ingredients!

    Your version sounds delicious, though I can't quite imagine getting up in the morning, chopping onion and pepper, and then doing all that cooking. It would have to wait for lunch in my kitchen!

    be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the background information about migas, Mae! As far as making it for breakfasat, I would have to agree. Maybe brunch, but we've always had it for dinner.

      Delete
  8. Yum! I love migas. I need to share this recipe with my husband as he's the cook in our house :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, you are one of the few people I know who actually knows about migas! Hope you enjoy this recipe. It's pretty mild, so you'll probably want to add some salsa.

      Delete
  9. I love migas! This might be just the thing to have with a margarita on Cinco de Mayo in a couple of days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another migas lover! Yes, it would be perfect for Cinco de Mayo. I just wish my avocados would hurry up and get ripe so I can make some guac, too.

      Delete
  10. This sounds delicious and I have everything I need to make it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!