June 4, 2020

A Month in Summary - May 2020

May 2020


I'm finding it very difficult to sit and compose this post, which feels trivial in light of all the sadness, anger and unrest in our country. We have gone from the worry of the COVID-19 pandemic (which is still a very real issue and concern) to the horrific murder of George Floyd and the ensuing aftermath of peaceful protests, riots and looting. I am ashamed of certain members of the government and my country, but I am proud of my fellow citizens who are standing up to the injustice of the Black communities across our nation. I have no answers (other than to vote out those deplorable members of the government in November), but make a personal vow to educate myself through readings, as well as listening to the voices of those who have implored us, time and again, to stop the racist behavior that has gone on for centuries. We are better than this. 


Books Read (click on the title for my review):

Daisy Jones & The Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid (4/5)

A Great Reckoning by Louise Penny (5/5)

Nothing to See Here by Kevin Wilson (4.5/5)


Cat's Eye by Margaret Atwood (3/5)

First Lines:

Daisy Jones was born in 1951 and grew up in the Hollywood Hills of Los Angeles, California. The daughter of Frank Jones, the well-known British painter, and Jeanne LeFevre, a French model. Daisy started to make a name for herself in the late sixties as a young teacher on the Sunset Strip. (Daisy Jones & The Six)

Armand Gamache sat in the little room and closed the dossier with care, squeezing it shut, trapping the words inside. (A Great Reckoning)

Lillian and Madison were unlikely roommates and yet inseparable friends at their boarding school. But then Lillian had to leave the school unexpectedly in the wake of a scandal, and they've barely spoken since. Until now, more than ten years later, when Lillian gets a letter from Madison pleading for her help. (Nothing to See Here)


Time is not a line but a dimension, like the dimensions of space. If you can bend space you can bend time also, and if you knew enough and could move faster than light you could travel backward in time and exist in two places at once. (Cat's Eye) 

Movies and TV Series:



Beasts of the Southern Wild - This one took me by surprise. I adored the young actress (Quvenzhane Wallis) who plays Hushpuppy. The plot reminded me a little bit of Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston. Highly recommend!



Hold the Dark - Meh. Too violent and unsatisfying.



Unforgotten (Seasons 2 & 3) - Loved this series and the two main actors have become favorites of mine.



The Five - Very intense and gritty, but I wound up liking it more than I thought I would.



The Stranger - Another Harlan Coben series, which was very good, although there were quite a few loose threads. I enjoyed watching Siobhan Finneran in this one!



A Confession - Really good series. Martin Freeman has become a favorite in these British series.



Top of the Lake - We watched a few episodes, but didn't love this program. I'll probably continue since I want to know how it ends, but I'm not in a huge rush.


Rocketman - Meh. I expected this to be more like the biopic Bohemian Rhapsody rather than a musical fantasy. One takeaway from the film (which we watched with subtitles) is that while I grew up listening to a lot of Elton John, I really didn't know the correct lyrics. Lol!




Ordeal by Innocence - It probably didn't help that we accidentally watched Episode 3 before Episode 2, but this wasn't a favorite. I did like Bill Nighy though, and felt the conclusion was very satisfying. 



Spider-Man: Far From Home - OK, but not great. I worked on a puzzle as I watched most of the movie.

Puzzlemania:





Maybe I'll have more to say about my reading and TV viewing next month. Today, I'm feeling the need to be quiet.

Be safe, my friends.

14 comments:

  1. Some scenes have shocked me to my core with the brutality. November will let us know what kind of country we live in, and I hope it is one with more of an ethical and moral attitude toward its citizens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenclair, with each passing day, I am even more shocked by the inhumane behavior I am seeing on the Internet and in the news. It makes my blood boil and breaks my heart. But I am also encouraged by the outpouring of love and respect for the Black community and hope we make some serious changes in the coming months and years. I'm finding solace in my daily walks and in my books, but there are moments when I wish I had moved to Canada three years ago. I have dual citizenship and it's pretty tempting right now.

      Delete
  2. I feel overloaded with way too much stress and sadness. I really enjoyed being reminded of the song by Jewel that Nan posted the other day - Hands. There are some really good thoughts in those lyrics. My walking for my mental health is mandatory for me right now - wish it were a bit cooler, but I guess it's good to sweat and think and breathe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, the stress and sadness has been constant since the beginning of the year, hasn't it? Well, probably much longer for some, but these past three months have been terrible. Nan's post was wonderful, wasn't it. Yep, I keep walking every day and have been doing some yardwork while listening to my audiobooks. I even got out on my bike a few times this past week and hope to continue with that when the weather cooperates. Looks like there's another week of rain in future, but we need it!

      Delete
  3. Yes, we must change and we can do better! It's so surreal to see people try to defend what is indefensible. Let's definitely get out and vote in November (with our masks on of course! :)
    Making note of the shows you've recommended. We're watching The Five now and it's enjoyable. Isn't Nicola Walker awesome? We've watched a couple of shows from that series and really enjoyed them so we need to go back and watch the rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, we are fortunate to be able to vote by mail here in Oregon. I hope that is never taken away from us! Yes, the Five is a good program, but I enjoyed The Stranger even better. Nicola Walker is great. She's in The River, which we'll probably watch sometime this month.

      Delete
  4. We are so far away and yet it is still so unsettling to see everything that is happening in America. I can't imagine how hard it is to be there at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marg, I can only imagine what other countries are thinking about the situation in the U.S. right now...

      Delete
    2. From a purely selfish perspective I am thinking I am so glad my son isn't still in college in the US.

      Delete
    3. Marg, I understand 100%! There are days I wish I didn't live in the U.S.

      Delete
  5. This is a beautiful post, Les. So we’ll said. I, too, want to educate myself about these issues we face in this country, and do better. If each one of us takes on that learning, things will change. Hugs to you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words, Robin. Hugs to you, too.

      Delete
  6. Terrific post Les, we are of the same mindset. I loved what the Mayor of DC did, renaming the street Black Lives Matter Way and painting it in yellow along the street.
    Loved your puzzles. As for your reads, I've only read (audio) Daisy Jones, which I enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diane. Now that the weather is getting nicer, I'm spending more time outside, so I don't know if we'll do as many puzzles as we did this winter. Wasn't Daisy Jones good?! I'm still thinking about it. I, too, love that there is a street named Black Lives Matter in DC. Be well and stay safe.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!