June 19, 2020

Looking Back - I Capture the Castle

Looking Back... In an effort to transfer my book journal entries over to this blog, I'm going to attempt to post (in chronological order) an entry every Friday. I may or may not add extra commentary to what I jotted down in these journals.




I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith
Fiction
1948 Atlantic Monthly Press; Little, Brown and Company
Read in September 1999
Rating: 4/5 (Very Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

I Capture the Castle tells the story of seventeen-year-old Cassandra Mortmain and her family, who live in not-so-genteel poverty in a ramshackle old English castle. Here she strives, over six turbulent months, to hone her writing skills. She fills three notebooks with sharply funny yet poignant entries. Her journals candidly chronicle the great changes that take place within the castle's walls and her own first descent into love. By the time she pens her final entry, she has "captured the castle"-- and the heart of the reader-- in one of literature's most enchanting entertainments.

My Original Thoughts (1999):

Very entertaining! Reminded me of Jane Austen and the Brontes. I laughed out loud several times and was surprised by the unpredictable ending. Couldn't put it down; didn't want it to end. Old-fashioned story of love & romance.

My Current Thoughts:

I don't remember too much about this book, but it's one I've been meaning to re-read. I have a lovely old hardcover copy on my shelf and will have to add it to my list of suggestions for my book club for 2021.

10 comments:

  1. :) I read it and liked it years ago, too. I don't remember much more than the fact that I enjoyed it. Maybe I should put it on my reread list, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenclair, I'll bet it's one that could be re-read over the course of a day or two. I really need to devote a month to re-reading!

      Delete
  2. From 2003, which you probably read then!!
    I Capture The Castle by Dodie Smith 1948 A Fiction
    I listened to the Village Storytapes unabridged version read by Jenny
    Agutter. I started reading the print version of this book years ago, and
    couldn't get into it. I don't know if it was listening to it, or not,
    but this time I loved it. Enchanting is an adjective that comes to mind.
    I think the title means she has captured the castle and its inhabitants
    in words; she has told their story. It is written through the one-year-
    journal of a 17 year old girl named Cassandra. She is a lovely character
    with great charm and kindness and love. Great book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enchanting is the perfect adjective, Nan! I'm looking forward to re-visiting this story.

      Delete
  3. I don’t remember too much about this , either, except that a I liked it, and I, too, would love a reread some day.(Enough commas in this comment?😳😌)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can never have too many commas, Meredith! ;) I think I'm going to devote September to re-reading some of my favorite books. This is going in that stack!

      Delete
  4. I've been wanting to read this one for years. Thanks for reminding me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I recall, it's a delightful story. Probably a perfect read for these trying times. Enjoy!

      Delete
  5. I should re-read this one because it's been years and like you I don't remember much about it. I'm not big about re-reading books but I think there are some that I am curious about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll probably reread it later this year. Or maybe I'll recommend it to my book group and read it in 2021.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!