June 27, 2020

Quick Zucchini Saute

Quick Zucchini Saute
Photo Credit: Smitten Kitchen



As a child, I was a fairly picky eater and it wasn't until I was in my early twenties that I learned to enjoy mushrooms and onions. Even then, I wasn't a fan of squash or zucchini and if you're anywhere near my age, you grew up when zucchini, like most vegetables, was overcooked to the consistency of mush. It wasn't until I started cooking it, usually in a stirfry (resulting in a perfectly cooked piece of tenderly crisp zucchini) that I realized just how delicious it can be. And yet, the vegetable has never been a regular item on our weekly menus. 

Until now. 

I discovered this amazingly simple recipe on Smitten Kitchen a month or so ago and we've had it already at least three or four times. It's the perfect accompaniment to grilled chicken, fish, pork or steak. I've followed the recipe exactly as written, but after reading some of the comments on Deb's blog, I think I'll try a few of the suggestions (listed in my notes below). If you don't care for zucchini, I highly recommend giving this recipe a try. Even the pickiest eater will ask for seconds!


Ingredients:

1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil (see my notes)
2 tablespoons thinly sliced almonds
1 medium or 2 small zucchinis, cut into 1/8-inch matchsticks
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Peelings of pecorino romano or parmesan cheese, to taste (optional)

Heat a large skillet over medium-high and add enough oil to coat the pan well. Heat the oil until hot but not smoking, then add the almonds to the pan. Cook them, stirring, until the almonds are golden-brown, approximately a minute or two. Don’t skimp on this step; they provide a depth of flavor that carries the whole dish. Add the zucchini to the pan, tossing it with the oil and almonds until it just begins to glisten, about one minute. The idea is not to cook the zucchini so much as warm it so it begins to soften. Season well with salt and pepper, slide onto a plate, top with cheese (if using) and immediately dig in.

My Notes:

The first time I made the recipe I used 2 tablespoons of oil and thought the zucchini was a bit too greasy. 1 tablespoon of oil is plenty.

Be very careful when browning the almonds. You don't want them to burn!

Don't skip the cheese.

I haven't tried it yet, but I'll bet this would be delicious topped with a fried egg.

A spritz of fresh lemon juice or zest would also be good.

If you don't have romano or parmesan on hand, feta or goat cheese would work, too.

Click here to read more about this recipe (including step-by-step photos on the zucchini prep) on Smitten Kitchen.

Click on the link in my sidebar for more of my favorite recipes.

Please visit The Intrepid Reader for Weekend Cooking.
Weekend Cooking is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, fabulous quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend.

32 comments:

  1. Such a simple but delicious sounding recipe! I'm sure the cheese really adds some amazing flavor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judee, for us I think it's the almonds that elevate this simple side dish. I'm anxious to try it with feta!

      Delete
  2. I love Smitten Kitchen! I missed this simple recipe, but I'll be sure to give it a try as we get into zucchini season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Candace, I've been finding a lot of great recipes from SK. I have one of her cookbooks, but haven't tried any of those recipes. Now is the time, right?

      Delete
    2. Go for it! I've never been disappointed. I signed up for her weekly email list and discover recipes that way too.

      Delete
    3. I signed up for that weekly email, as well. It's almost like looking through a cookbook--she shares so many from her archives!

      Delete
  3. Growing up, I do not remember any zucchini at all. I don't even remember it from my early cooking years. Not other squash either. Maybe my mother didn't like it. I think I first saw it in ratatouille -- where it should indeed still be firm, not mushy.

    That does sound like a delicious recipe!

    be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae, I remember having zucchini when we visited our grandparents. It was so mushy, I nearly gagged with every bite. This is a much better recipe! ;)

      Delete
  4. Once I discovered ‘crisp’ cooked veggies, I had a lot more options as well.
    The fried egg sounds awesome - a fried egg on top improvmany dishes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I love pretty much all veggies, as long as they are just shy of raw. I haven't tried the fried egg yet, but I plan to!

      Delete
    2. A go-to lunch for me is sliced brussel sprouts and onions fried up (with Epicure Rosemary & garlic seasoning) then serve a fried egg on top. I’ll definitely try the zucchini option, maybe with Italian seasonings and some cherry tomatoes in the pan as well!

      Delete
    3. That sounds delicious! I'll have to keep that in mind. I'm all about variety when it comes to our menu planning.

      Delete
  5. This loos yummy! Definitely going to try it. I wonder if if would work if I cut up my frozen zucchini noodles?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't see why it wouldn't work, as long as they are defrosted well enough and you remove any remaining moisture with paper towels.

      Delete
  6. I like experimenting with zucchini, mainly because I love chopping it. I feel like I almost have chopping skills when I chop this, in a way that I just don't with any other vegetable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marg, I feel that way with onions! As far as chopping the zucchini, I was making little matchsticks, but I hadn't looked at the photos on the recipe to see how Deb cuts them. Starting with discs and then slicing the matchsticks looks much easier than the way I was doing it. I'm glad I looked back at the online recipe. Learn something new every day!

      Delete
  7. Oh, this sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenclair, it is! And good for you, too. :)

      Delete
  8. That looks delicious! Zucchini is one of those veggies that always seems so bland and boring, unless it's grilled. But I'm going to try this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurel, it really is very good! Some people have mentioned giving it a splash of sesame oil, which would give it even more flavor and depth. I'm sure the adaptations are endless, but I love the simplicity of the recipe.

      Delete
  9. I own both Smitten Kitchen cookbooks, but I haven't been keeping up with Deb's posts at all. This recipe sounds great but this is the first week my husband wasn't able to buy zucchini at the market. We've been eating zucchini all month long, so a new way to cook it is definitely good, for next trip to the store, hopefully!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurie, I try to get 1 or 2 zucchinis every time I go to the store, but that's usually now just twice a month. Thankfully, they hold up much longer in the refrigerator than cucumbers! I'm going to pull my SK cookbook off the shelf tomorrow and start sampling more of her recipes. I made her galette a few weeks ago, but found that on her website and not in the cookbook. I'm a sucker for cookbooks with great photography, but I need to make more of an effort to actually try the recipes and not just drool over the pictures.

      Delete
  10. Oh wow, you are so in my head. I just signed up for the Smitten Kitchen newsletters as I recently acquired one of her books. I am still on hold at the library for the first book. I ought to buy it.

    I have never been a zucchini fan all on it's own but once I learned to add it to other dishes, like ratatouille, I enjoy it. Oh , I made zucchini fritters with feta one, holy cow those were good.

    I will bookmark this recipe now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How funny, Tina. I'm really enjoying her newsletters and just this morning printed out four more recipes to try out. Mmm, zucchini fritters with feta sound great!

      Delete
  11. Soggy summer squash was our summer veggie as a kid. Fortunately I've learned to prepare more delicious veggie options as an adult LOL
    This sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, blech. Soggy squash is the worst, isn't it? This is so much better!

      Delete
  12. Just bought some zucchini today... I'm going to try your recipe this week! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, you'll love it. I really like that you can whip it up so quickly. I can get it all ready to go and once Rod takes the meat or fish of the grill, I throw it in the pan. I wish I had known about it when I was still working... or trying to get veggies in my daughter when she was little.

      Delete
  13. You are right. It was the mushy vegetables of my youth that turned me against them for so long. Thanks for sharing this recipe, Les.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deb. I'm going to try it with a fried egg later today!

      Delete
  14. I love zucchini and this sounds like a great and easy recipe. My husband isn't as big of a fan but I'd think he'd be up for trying it out. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, it super easy!! I'll bet your husband enjoys it, too.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!