November 13, 2020

Looking Back - The Mark of the Angel

Looking Back... In an effort to transfer my book journal entries over to this blog, I'm going to attempt to post (in chronological order) an entry every Friday. I may or may not add extra commentary to what I jotted down in these journals. 




Fiction
1999 Steerforth Press (first published in 1998)
Read in January 2000
Rating: 4/5 (Very Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

In the spring of 1957, a young German girl arrives in Paris to take a position as housekeeper to a bachelor flautist. Soon Saffie and Raphael are married and a son, Emil, is born. One day, Saffie and Emil go on errands to the Marais where they encounter an intriguing instrument maker, Andras. A passionate affair that will last a decade begins immediately. Framed within the love triangle is an exploration of the ways in which individual lives and historical events intersect, from the Soviet invasion of Budapest to the Kennedy assassination, and the different ways in which the German girl and the Hungarian Jew remember World War II and the Algerian war for independence.

My Original Thoughts (2000):

Read this in one day (home sick)! I enjoyed this novel very much. It reminded me a little bit of Anna Karenina. 

My Current Thoughts:

This one doesn't ring any bells and it's not one that was popular when I read it, so who knows what inspired me to read it. 

2 comments:

  1. This is a book that is completely new to me, Les. I'm very tempted to look for it, though. It's hard for me to pass up a book set, even in part, in Paris.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had a copy to send to you, Deb. Let me know if you find one and read it.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!