January 17, 2021

Time for Serenity, Anyone?

Time for Serenity, Anyone?
by William Stafford


I like to live in the sound of water,
in the feel of mountain air. A sharp
reminder hits me: this world still is alive;
it stretches out there shivering toward its own
creation, and I'm part of it. Even my breathing
enters into the elaborate give-and-take,
this bowing to sun and moon, day or night,
winter, summer, storm, still—this tranquil
chaos that seems to be going somewhere.
This wilderness with a great peacefulness in it.
This motionless turmoil, this everything dance.

18 comments:

  1. Nothing more peaceful than alone time with the ocean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Diane. I especially love it on a sunny day, but foggy days are nice, too.

      Delete
  2. Perfect! Thanks for posting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if this is a brand new poem, or if it is older and just coincidental. It is beautiful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks like it is from Even In Quiet Places (1996), although Stafford died in 1993.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for sharing this beautiful poem and image. It's exactly what I need right now (and if I can be so bold as to speak for our world, it's what we all need).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Laurel. I love it when a poem speaks to me on such a personal level.

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful last line!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Jenclair! It's a perfect poem for these uncertain times.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful words and photography! I need to add this poem to my journal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Iliana. The photo is of the view I see on my daily walks! Glad you enjoyed the poem. I'd like to find more by Stafford.

      Delete
  7. Yes, gorgeous picture and poem fits well. I need some Serenity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are long overdue for some serenity, aren't we, Susan?

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!