February 26, 2021

Looking Back - Sullivan's Island

Looking Back... In an effort to transfer my book journal entries over to this blog, I'm going to attempt to post (in chronological order) an entry every Friday. I may or may not add extra commentary to what I jotted down in these journals.

Fiction
1999 JOVE Berkley Publishing Group
Read in March 2000
Rating: 3/5 (Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

Set in the steamy, stormy landscape of South Carolina, Sullivan's Island tells the unforgettable story of one woman's courageous journey toward truth.

Born and raised on idyllic Sullivan's Island, Susan Hayes navigated through her turbulent childhood with humor, spunk, and characteristic Southern sass. But years later, she is a conflicted woman with an unfaithful husband, a sometimes resentful teenage daughter, and a heart that aches with painful, poignant memories. And as Susan faces her uncertain future, she realizes that she must go back to her past. To the beachfront house where her sister welcomes her with open arms. To the only place she can truly call home.

My Original Thoughts (2000):

Not as good as Pat Conroy's Beach Music, but entertaining. The relationships between mother & daughter and husband & wife rang true. The transition between past & present flowed well. It kept my interest. The Gullah dialogue between the two grown sisters didn't seem realistic. Not as good as The Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood, but I'll look for Frank's next book.

My Current Thoughts:

I don't think I went on to read anything else by this author. I am, however, inspired to reread Beach Music. I've been saying that for years!

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Entertaining books are fine, and I read a lot of them, but there is a huge difference between being entertained for a few hours and inspired by an unforgettable book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenclair, absolutely. This certainly wasn't memorable, but I guess I enjoyed it at the time.

      Delete
  3. I've been saying the same thing about Beach Music for 20 years!! Queen Bee is the only DBF book I've read. That was pre-pandemic for the FL library book club and I only gave it 3 stars. Not in a hurry to read her other books, but I do miss the book club...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe this will be the year, JoAnn! I might read it in June. We'll see. :)

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!