March 16, 2021

Leave the Grave Green

 



Duncan Kincaid/Gemma James Series #3
Mystery
1995 Scribner
Finished on March 12, 2021
Rating: 3/5 (Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

When Connor Swann, the dissolute son-in-law of renowned and influential Sir Gerald and Dame Caroline Asherton, is found floating in a Thames River lock, the circumstances eerily recall a strangely similar tragedy. Twenty years ago, the Ashertons' young son, Matthew, a musical prodigy, drowned in a swollen stream while in the company of his sister Julia -- Connor Swann's wife. 

Police Superintendent Duncan Kincaid and Sergeant Gemma James quickly discover that Connor's death was no accident, and that nothing in the Asherton family is as it seems. Connor, though estranged from Julia for more than a year, still lives in her London apartment, where his exploits with women and gambling suggest plenty of motives. The Ashertons are far more attached to Connor than to their own daughter, and these are only the first of the secrets that haunt the suspects. New lies cover older lies, as Kincaid finds himself dangerously drawn to Julia Swann, and Gemma must confront her own troubling feelings for Kincaid.

Another entertaining installment in Deborah Crombie's Kincaid/James series. I was kept guessing and didn't solve the mystery before Duncan and Gemma. I continue to enjoy the British setting and the slowly evolving relationship between the two detectives.

8 comments:

  1. A favorite series that I've been reading for years, but I honestly do not remember this one. If I didn't have so many books in my queue, I'd start this series from the beginning and go through it again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenclair, they're pretty fast reads. You could always reread one every month. :)

      Delete
  2. I do love British crime fiction. I'm glad it worked out for you and kudos to the author for keeping you guessing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ti, I think this would be a fun TV series. We've been watching a lot of British mysteries this past year and love them.

      Delete
  3. I'm almost positive I read this one but cannot remember anything about it. I do really like the main characters though. It's been a while since I've checked in with them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, I'm usually that way about most mystery series. I remember the main characters and some of the details of some of the books, but not a lot of specifics! ;)

      Delete
  4. I don’t know this series I’ll need to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather, I have a couple of friends who swear by this series, so I'm planning to read one installment every month. I'm anxious to start #4 later next week.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!