March 26, 2021

Looking Back - Out of the Blue

Looking Back... In an effort to transfer my book journal entries over to this blog, I'm going to attempt to post (in chronological order) an entry every Friday. I may or may not add extra commentary to what I jotted down in these journals.



Fiction
2000 Ballantine Books
Read in April 2000
Rating: 4/5 (Very Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

At once heart-wrenching and funny, poignant and provocative, here is a rare novel about finding the courage to take a remarkable leap of faith. Smart, funny Anna Bolles, a born athlete and a dynamic teacher, figures God decided to have the last laugh when her life was tragically and irrevocably changed five years ago. Since then she has kept herself firmly grounded in the present with the door marked "future" shut. 

Anna's days are filled with the vibrancy of summer in New York City where she takes joy in the details, the sensual assault of an air-conditioned museum and a perfectly baked muffin. She relishes her role as an observer to the dramas played out around her--from the adolescent courtships of her private school students to the turbulent love affairs of friends and colleagues. Yet Anna never dares to open her heart, except to the father who has drifted from her and the mother who sustains her, until the one thing she didn't think could happen becomes a twist of fate that may just set her free. Until Joe Malone.

Joe Malone, pilot, businessman, amateur photographer, is a man who has everything except happiness. Though he's notorious for his short attention span, he sees in Anna a world of possibilities. Maybe Joe, a man who has only been skimming the surface of life, has finally found a perfect place to land. He thinks he wants a life with Anna no matter what and seems willing to risk everything to be with her. But can he trust himself enough to give their deepest dreams the chance to flourish?

Through laughter and tears, from the depths of heartbreak to the pinnacle of joy, Sally Mandel never fails to remind readers of the things that matter most in life. Now she has written her most dazzling novel yet--a very special story about two unique people whose love comes from seemingly out of the blue.

My Original Thoughts (2000):

Great fluff! I couldn't put it down. Romance. Humorous. Didn't cry, but got choked up. Not great literature, but entertaining. A perfect beach read. Engrossing, yet light. This author is one that I'll keep my eye on. She's written four other books, but they're all out of print.

My Current Thoughts: 

This isn't the sort of book I'd read now, but I obviously enjoyed it quite a lot 20 years ago. Did I go on to read more by Mandel? Nope.

10 comments:

  1. I wonder what you would think about this book if you reread it now. I feel like I would not enjoy today a lot of the books I once enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, I've enjoyed rereading some of the books that I read a couple of decades ago, but I have a feeling this one might bore me. Too fluffy, I think.

      Delete
  2. Entertaining is often all I ask for, but like you suggest, what entertained 20 years ago may not do so today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenclair, this is not one I'm tempted to read again but a part of me is curious as to why I enjoyed it so well the first time.

      Delete
  3. I love what you originally wrote. It's funny how our reading tastes change. I went through a very dark, literary fiction phase that lasted ten plus years. I felt like if it wasn't dark and deep and confusing, it wasn't good literature. Boy, have times changed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ti. I used to read a lot of fluffy novels back in the day. I don't think there's anything wrong with that (or reading dark, literary fiction), but it's nice to know that I've expanding my reading tastes, thanks to online book groups and blogging friends' suggestions. I can't say that I'll never read any more "brain candy," but my preference is for something a little more substantial.

      Delete
  4. I think maybe in the right mood I could enjoy this one. So true though about how our tastes change. I've gone through so many reading phases!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, it was definitely an enjoyable "brain candy" read, but I'm not sure if it would now hold my attention.

      Delete
  5. This month has been pretty much all fluff reading for me and I've needed it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacy, I think I'll focus on some fluff this summer. I've got a lot of it languishing on my TBR shelves.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!