March 12, 2021

Looking Back - Rules of the Wild

Looking Back... In an effort to transfer my book journal entries over to this blog, I'm going to attempt to post (in chronological order) an entry every Friday. I may or may not add extra commentary to what I jotted down in these journals.



Fiction
1999 Vintage (first published in 1998)
Read in April 2000
Rating: 3/5 (Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

A mesmerizing novel of love and nostalgia set in the vast spaces of contemporary East Africa.

Romantic, often resonantly ironic, moving and wise, Rules of the Wild transports us to a landscape of unsurpassed beauty even as it gives us a sharp-eyed portrait of a closely knit tribe of cultural outsiders: the expatriates living in Kenya today. Challenged by race, by class, and by a longing for home, here are "safari boys" and samaritans, reporters bent on their own fame, travelers who care deeply about elephants but not at all about the people of Africa. They all know each other. They meet at dinner parties, they sleep with each other, they argue about politics and the best way to negotiate their existence in a place where they don't really belong.

At the center is Esmé, a beautiful young woman of dazzling ironies and introspections, who tells us her story in a voice both passionate and self-deprecating. Against a paradoxical backdrop of limitless physical freedom and escalating civil unrest, Esmé struggles to make sense of her own place in Africa and of her feelings for the two men there whom she loves--Adam, a second-generation Kenyan who is the first to show her the wonders of her adopted land, and Hunter, a British journalist sickened by its horrors.

Rules of the Wild evokes the worlds of Isak Dinesen, Beryl Markham, and Ernest Hemingway. It explores unforgettably our infinite desire for a perfect elsewhere, for love and a place to call home. It is an astonishing literary debut.

My Original Thoughts (2000):

Pretty good. Held my interest enough to keep me reading late into the night. I loved the passages that describe the landscape and wildlife. I didn't care too much for the immature relationships between several of the characters, but I could overlook those for the better parts of the book. 

There is no sky as big as this one anywhere else in the world. It hangs over you, like some kind of gigantic umbrella, and takes your breath away. You are flattened between the immensity of the air above you and the solid ground. It's all around you, 360 degrees: sky and earth, one the aerial reflection of the other. The horizon here is no longer a flat line, but an endless circle which makes your head spin.

My Current Thoughts: 

Rereading my journal notes, it sounds like I might have enjoyed this better if it had been nonfiction rather than a novel. 

6 comments:

  1. Interesting--sometimes an author's need to include less than stellar characters hurts the best parts of the book. I've found this to be the case at times, too. The excerpt you include is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenclair, I love that passage, too. It reminds me of some of the amazing views of the night sky that we've seen while camping.

      Delete
  2. As I was reading the description I kept thinking of Out of Africa. I think I could enjoy this one, well in particular the aspects of the expat experience more so than the complicated love relationships especially if the characters are immature!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, maybe I should have read Out of Africa instead! ;)

      Delete
  3. Is it like Dinesen & Markham books? I love their Africa novels so I'm going to see if my library has this one. thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, it's been so long since I read it, I don't really know. I haven't read Dinesen, but I did read Markham's West With the Night (also many, many years ago). Keep me posted!

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!