April 19, 2021

A Thousand Mornings

 



Poetry
2012 Penguin Books
Finished on April 14, 2021
Rating: 4/5 (Very Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

In A Thousand Mornings, Mary Oliver returns to the imagery that has come to define her life’s work, transporting us to the marshland and coastline of her beloved home, Provincetown, Massachusetts. Whether studying the leaves of a tree or mourning her treasured dog Percy, Oliver is open to the teachings contained in the smallest of moments and explores with startling clarity, humor, and kindness the mysteries of our daily experience.

I rarely ever receive books for my birthday or Christmas, but this past year my husband gave me not one, but four of Mary Oliver's books! I decided to wait until National Poetry Month before starting in on this lovely collection of poetry and I began with A Thousand Mornings, which I read every morning over the course of two weeks. I love the simplicity of Oliver's words and her focus on nature and the environment, as well as on life and death. Of the 36 poems in this slim edition, I marked 8 that spoke to me. Those favorites are as follows:
I Go Down To The Shore
The Gardener
If I Were
Poem Of The One World
And Bob Dylan Too
Today
A Thousand Mornings
Tides

There are too many to quote here, but I plan to share each one individually in the coming months.

12 comments:

  1. National Poetry Month is an interesting concept, and I like your approach to commemorating it. I am not much of a poetry reader, but should follow your example.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae, I don't normally read a lot of poetry, but Mary Oliver's poems are very accessible, so I've enjoyed my journey through her inspiring words.

      Delete
  2. I think I saw this book as I was blog hopping the other day. I might check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, I enjoyed it and know that I'll read it again in the coming years.

      Delete
  3. It always makes me chuckle that as readers, we don't often receive books as gifts. I never do. I think most people think I've read everything. So, not, true.

    As much as I appreciate poetry, I find myself hardly ever reading it. I do like to read a little bit at a time over the course of a few weeks, like you did here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ti, I suppose part of the danger of someone buying books for me is that they don't know what I've read or what I want to read... unless they check out my TBR list on Goodreads or my wishlist on Amazon.

      I rarely read poetry except during April, although I'm subscribed to The Writer's Almanac (Garrison Keillor), which includes a daily poem.

      Delete
  4. My husband bought me a poetry book when we first met, it was romantic but, honestly, poetry and I rarely have mixed:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, that is a romantic gift! My husband has given me a few books of poetry over the years. My favorite poems tend to focus on nature.

      Delete
  5. Oh, how I love Mary Oliver! Eric introduced me to her poetry when we met and has gifted me with her books for the past 23 years. He reads her poems to me at night sometimes just before we go to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurel, she's become a favorite of mine. How sweet of Eric to read poetry to you. I can't say that my husband has ever done that, but he did write a poem for me one year for Valentine's Day. :)

      Delete
  6. I think it's wonderful that you were able to focus on Mary Oliver during National Poetry Month. I really love her poetry too but my only have a couple of her books so I need to get more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, it was an enjoyable experience. I wonder who I'll focus on next year!

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!