April 2, 2021

Looking Back - Playing Botticelli

Looking Back... In an effort to transfer my book journal entries over to this blog, I'm going to attempt to post (in chronological order) an entry every Friday. I may or may not add extra commentary to what I jotted down in these journals.



Fiction
2000 Putnam Adult
Read in April 2000
Rating: 3/5 (Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

In her vibrant and wise novel, Liza Nelson captures that pivotal time when a parent's power to shape and shield her child is drawing to an end. The year is 1986, when airport terrorism, serial killers, and Iran-Contra have put most of the population into a collective funk. But artist Godiva Blue feels safe. A refugee from the late sixties, self-proclaimed visionary, and "lady janitor" at the local elementary school, Godiva believes she has found a haven for herself and her daughter, Dylan, in the backwaters of northwest Florida. Then, on a casual trip to the post office, Godiva glances at the FBI most-wanted poster and recognizes the face of the man with whom she conceived Dylan during an antiwar rally. Meanwhile, at fifteen Dylan is chafing under her mother's overwhelming personality. When she discovers the poster that Godiva had hidden in a rare moment of self-doubt, Dylan begins to build a fantasy future centered on reuniting with her father, setting her -- and Godiva's -- course. 

My Original Thoughts (2000):

Entertaining, but not a great read. The point of view shifts frequently from Godiva to Dylan (in first person) to third person. The book held my interest and I could picture it on the big screen, as it reminded me a little bit of Where the Heart Is.

My Current Thoughts:

I have no recollection of this book.

4 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this author before.

    Sometimes I don't remember a book that I've read and that makes me sad. Other books will stay in my head forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, I have over a dozen book journals and enjoy looking back on what I was reading many years ago, but so many books were unremarkable, as was this one. I believe this author has only written this single book, so it's no wonder you've never heard of her.

      Delete
  2. I actually had to go check my bookshelf right now because the cover looks familiar but nope, probably just reminds me of another book I've yet to read! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, it definitely has a distinctive cover, doesn't it!

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!