June 18, 2021

Looking Back - My Last Days as Roy Rogers

Looking Back... In an effort to transfer my book journal entries over to this blog, I'm going to attempt to post (in chronological order) an entry every Friday. I may or may not add extra commentary to what I jotted down in these journals.

Fiction
2000 Warner Brothers
Finished in June 2000
Rating: 3/5 (Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

In an Alabama town in the early 1950s during the last polio summer before the Salk vaccine, ten-year-old Tabitha "Tab" Rutland is about to have the time of her life. Although movie theaters and pools have been closed to stem the epidemic, Tab, a tomboy with a passion for Roy Rogers, still seeks adventure with her best friend Maudie May, "the lightest brown colored person" she knows. Now as they meddle with the local bootlegger, Mr. Jake, row out on the Tennessee River to land the biggest catfish ever, and snoop into the town's darkest secrets, Tab sets out to be a hero . . . and comes of age in an unforgettable confrontation with human frailty, racial injustice, and the healing power of love.

My Original Thoughts (2000):

Pretty good. A quick, light read. Didn't think it was as good as Wait 'Til Next Year (another book set in the 50s). In some ways, this book seemed too childish. Amateur writing? Deals with racial issues, polio, etc., but not in a lot of depth. Many of the characters lacked strong development.

My Current Thoughts:

It sounds like this might have been more suited to fans of YA novels. 

8 comments:

  1. I don't know why I don't read books like this, I think I'd like them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, as I reread the publisher's blurb, I was reminded of another book that I enjoyed called Cold Sassy Tree by Olive Burns. It isn't set in the 50s, but it has that wholesome feel to it.

      Delete
  2. How many today even know who Roy Rogers was? Or Dale Evans? Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book sounds really surfacy (is that a word?), which is too bad as polio outbreaks could make for an interesting setting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, it was pretty light and somewhat superficial in its telling of the more serious themes. Maybe that's why I thought it was geared more toward younger readers.

      Delete
  4. While I think this could be enjoyable as a coming-of-age story, I think the last thing I'll want to read about for a long time is any kind of epidemic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way, Iliana. Maybe in a few years, we won't mind reading about pandemics, but right now it's too fresh!

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!