June 1, 2021

Poem du Jour - And Bob Dylan Too

And Bob Dylan Too


"Anything worth thinking about is worth

     singing about."

Which is why we have 

songs of praise, songs of love, songs

     of sorrow.

Songs to the gods, who have

     so many names.

Songs the shepherds sing, on the

     lonely mountains, while the sheep

          are honoring the grass, by eating it.

The dance-songs of the bees, to tell

     where the flowers, suddenly, in the

          morning light, have opened.

A chorus of many, shouting to heaven,

     or at it, or pleading.

Or that greatest of love affairs, a violin

     and a human body.

And a composer, maybe hundreds of years dead.

I think of Schubert, scribbling on a cafe

     napkin.

          Thank you, thank you.


~Mary Oliver

12 comments:

  1. I can only echo, "Thank you, thank you." What gifts songs and music have been through the ages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenclair, I can't imagine a life without music.

      Delete
  2. I do so love the work of Mary Oliver. I will be revisiting her work throughout the year and will hopefully pick up more collections that I have yet to read. I've built quite a little Mary Oliver section to my library over the last year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carl, I spent most of April reading four collections of poetry by Mary Oliver. I loved all but one (Dog Songs) and would like to get the remaining books for my personal library. She's a gem and it's a shame we will no longer see anything new by her.

      Delete
  3. Oh this is lovely. Thank you for sharing this with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Iliana. I love it.

      Delete
  4. Mary Oliver always seems to be thanking the world for all its gifts to us. I like that so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, she certainly knew what was important in life, didn't she.

      Delete
  5. I love how Mary Oliver always reminds me to be grateful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurel, she was a remarkable poet and human being!

      Delete
  6. You are really turning me on to Oliver's work with these shares. I've never been able to get into poetry before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ti, if your library has re-opened, you might enjoy browsing through some of her books. She really wrote some gems!

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!