July 23, 2021

Looking Back - Angel Falls

Looking Back... In an effort to transfer my book journal entries over to this blog, I'm going to attempt to post (in chronological order) an entry every Friday. I may or may not add extra commentary to what I jotted down in these journals.



Fiction
2000 Crown Publishers
Finished on June 16, 2000
Rating: 2/5 (Fair)

Publisher's Blurb:

When Mikaela Campbell, beloved wife and mother, falls into a coma, it is up to her husband, Liam, to hold the family together and care for their grieving, frightened children. Doctors tell him not to expect a recovery, but he believes that love can accomplish what medical science cannot. Daily he sits at her bedside, telling her stories of the precious life they have built together, hoping against hope that she will wake up. But then he discovers evidence of his wife’s secret past: a hidden first marriage to movie star Julian True.

Desperate to bring Mikaela back at any cost, Liam knows he must turn to Julian for help. But will that choice cost Liam his wife, his family, and everything he holds dear? One of Kristin Hannah’s most moving novels, Angel Falls is a poignant and unforgettable portrait of marriage and commitment, of an ordinary man who dares to risk everything in the name of love.

My Original Thoughts (2000):

Pure fluff! Reminded me of Danielle Steel's books. Overly sentimental and predictable. I asked myself several times why I was wasting my time. Blah. 

My Current Thoughts:

Why didn't I toss this across the room and stop reading?! You couldn't pay me to read it now.

10 comments:

  1. How funny to hear that Hannah's early stuff was drivel! I've loved her most recent books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Helen. She's come a long way as an author.

      Delete
  2. One of my early rules-for-reading was to pass up any books that featured the author's name on the cover in larger type than the title. Hannah was an author I always passed up. Then our book group read The Nightingale, and I thought I'd give her another chance. The Four Winds reminded me of her earlier work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! I've never paid attention to the author's name in relation to the size of the title, but now I'm going to make a point of doing that. :) Yes, The Nightingale was very good and nothing like her earlier books. I'm sorry to hear that The Four Winds isn't another winner. I've had the audio in my queue for a few months, but it hasn't called out to me.

      Delete
  3. This one really doesn't sound good and to think now her latest books have been so popular and praised!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, she's definitely become a more skilled author in the past 20 years, hasn't she?

      Delete
  4. So many people love Kristan Hannah, especially The Nightingale, which I have not even read! And, there was much excitement about The Four Winds, her latest, which I abandoned halfway through. It makes me laugh when you ask, “Why didn’t I throw it across the room?” Perhaps we didn’t give ourselves permission to abandon books once upon a time ago…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meredith, it would be a stretch to say that I love Kristin Hannah's books. Scrolling through my blog archives, I see that I have reviewed Angel Falls (2/5), The Great Alone (3/5), Comfort & Joy (2/5) and The Nightingale (4.5/5). Definitely not a big fan with the exception of The Nightingale. I have her most recent book (The Four Winds) in my audio queue, but I'm not chomping at the bit to start listening. It's certainly received mixed reviews, so it may be later than sooner before I give it a try.

      Delete
    2. I can see that you feel lukewarm to her by your past reviews. I want to pick up The Nightingale at some point, because it is constantly being referred to as “well-loved,” much like Where the Crawdads Sing. My knowledge of popular books is abysmal lately, but I am enjoying the new “thriller of the summer,” Falling by T. J. Newman, from the hammock. Hope your weekend was good!

      Delete
    3. Meredith, I think a problem with popular books is that they tend to get over-hyped. I hope that won't be the case for you with The Nightingale. I have Falling on my TBR, but probably won't get to it until later in the year. I'm trying to stay focused on my 20 Books of Summer selections. :)

      I had a lovely weekend, thank you. A friend (of over 40 years) was visiting the area from CA and stopped by with her husband and mother for a long walk and dinner. It was a delightful evening. July was filled with several visits with family and friends, which has been so wonderful! Enjoy your hammock!

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!