July 2, 2021

Looking Back - Circle of Three

Looking Back... In an effort to transfer my book journal entries over to this blog, I'm going to attempt to post (in chronological order) an entry every Friday. I may or may not add extra commentary to what I jotted down in these journals.



Fiction
2000 Harper Collins
Finished on June 8, 2000
Rating: 4/5 (Very Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

Few authors can capture with such grace and power the spirit and strength of women and the complexities of their relationships as Patricia Gaffney. Her sensational national bestseller, The Saving Graces, won the hearts of readers everywhere and propelled her into the first ranks of contemporary women writers with its vivid characterizations and brilliant depiction of the delicate yet resilient bonds of female friendship.

Now this gifted writer turns inward to illuminate the silken bonds of family in Circle of Three. Through the interconnected lives of three generations of women in a small town in rural Virginia, this memorable novel explores the layers of tradition and responsibility, commitment and passion that bind them. After the sudden death of her husband, Carrie must come to terms not only with her grief, but with the guilt that their love had already died. Struggling to go on, to support her loving and vivacious daughter, Ruth, she slowly shakes off the sorrow that surrounds her and begins a new life.

Complicating matters is Carrie's mother, Dana, who believes she has always acted in her daughter's best interests. Having driven Carrie away from her first love, the soulful, unconventional Jess, Dana has no idea how to behave now that he has re-entered her daughter's life.

Skillfully weaving together the voices of Ruth, Dana and Carrie, Patricia Gaffney explores the dichotomies inherent in all female relationships in a spirited and wholly unsentimental way. Circle of Three is about believing in impossible things, like second chances - and maybe even happy endings.

My Original Thoughts (2000):

Wonderful! I really like this author and enjoyed this novel just as much as The Saving Graces. Told from three points of view. Nice romance. Believable mother-daughter relationships. Perfect beach read!

My Current Thoughts:

I wonder if this will be as enjoyable as the first time I read it. I own a copy and may give it a try later this summer. 

6 comments:

  1. I remember reading the Saving Graces and liking it but, don't think I ever read this one. It's funny as I look back at my posts occasionally from 13+ years ago when I started blogging, some of the books I have absolutely no recall of the book LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, I'm in the mood for some light summer reads, so maybe I'll read this and Saving Graces later this month. I'm hoping to get my reading mojo back once we get home from our road trip!

      Delete
  2. I haven't read anything by this author, but it looks like a good summer read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, it might be a little dated, but I think it'd still be a good light read. I may ditch my current summer reading list and read some of these older favorites!

      Delete
  3. I'm pretty sure I've read some of her historical romances back in the day when I was really into those. This sounds like a good, comfort type read so I would definitely check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really in the mood for some light "beach reads" and this one may go on my summer reading stack for a second reading.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!