July 16, 2021

Looking Back - Where You Once Belonged

Looking Back... In an effort to transfer my book journal entries over to this blog, I'm going to attempt to post (in chronological order) an entry every Friday. I may or may not add extra commentary to what I jotted down in these journals.



Fiction
2000 Vintage (first published 1990)
Finished on June 14, 2000
Rating: 2/5 (Fair)

Publisher's Blurb:

The red Cadillac pulled down Main Street and sat by the tavern for hours, unnoticed. Then Ralph Bird of the Men's Store recognized the driver as Jack Burdette and bolted to the sheriff's office. The prodigal son of Holt, Colorado, had returned--and he was far from welcome.

In Where You Once Belonged, acclaimed novelist Kent Haruf tells of a small-town hero who is dealt an enviable hand--and cheats with all of the cards. In prose as lean and supple as a spring switch, Haruf describes a high school football star who wins the heart of the loveliest girl in the county and the admiration of men twice his age. Fun-loving, independent, Burdette engages in the occasional prank. But when he turns into a man, his high jinks turn into crimes--with unspeakable consequences. Now, eight years later, Burdette has returned to commit his greatest trespass of all. And the people of Holt may not be able to stop him. Deftly plotted, defiantly honest, Where You Once Belonged sings the song of a wounded prairie community in a narrative with the earmarks of a modern American classic.

My Original Thoughts (2000):

Depressing book! Well-written, but dark & gloomy. I read it in one day. Only felt a connection to one character. Doesn't compare to Plainsong. No sense of place. Lacks character development. [And yet, I said it was well-written.]

My Current Thoughts:

I remember how disappointed I was after I finished this book. I had looked forward to reading it but it was nothing like Plainsong, which I loved.

6 comments:

  1. It does sound depressing, but I have to admit the line from the blurb ("In prose as lean and supple as a spring switch") fascinates me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenclair, I like that line, too. If you haven't read any of Haruf's books, I strongly recommend Plainsong and Eventide. I actually like Eventide better than Plainsong. His final book (Our Souls at Night) was also outstanding.

      Delete
  2. That line is strange and unsettling but draws you in at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mystica, it's quite a hook, but sadly, the book fell short of my expectations.

      Delete
  3. It does sound sad but at the same I'm kind of interested. I believe the author has a new book right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, here's a link to some of my reviews for Haruf's books. Sadly, he died in 2014. I'm ready to reread all of my favorites of his.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!