July 30, 2021

Looking Back - While I Was Gone

Looking Back... In an effort to transfer my book journal entries over to this blog, I'm going to attempt to post (in chronological order) an entry every Friday. I may or may not add extra commentary to what I jotted down in these journals.
 


Fiction
1999 Ballantine
Finished in June 2000
Rating: 4/5 (Very Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

Jo Becker has every reason to be content. She has three dynamic daughters, a loving marriage, and a rewarding career. But she feels a sense of unease. Then an old housemate reappears, sending Jo back to a distant past when she lived in a communal house in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Drawn deeper into her memories of that fateful summer in 1968, Jo begins to obsess about the person she once was. As she is pulled farther from her present life, her husband, and her world, Jo struggles against becoming enveloped by her past and its dark secret.

My Original Thoughts (2000):

I loved this book! It grabbed me from the very beginning and I couldn't put it down. I loved the descriptions of the house and neighborhood that Jo lived in and found I could relate to her feelings (to a certain degree) about her children and her husband.

My Current Thoughts:

I don't remember too much about this book and no longer own a copy, so I guess it wasn't one that I thought I'd reread. I think I've only read one other book by Sue Miller (Lost In the Forest), which I also enjoyed very well. I have a copy of her most recent novel (Monogamy) on my bookshelf and plan to read it later this summer. 

8 comments:

  1. It is fascinating to look back at reviews, especially of books that we loved and try to remember them. I kind of like that I rate them right away because that's how it made me feel in the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, I've been having fun looking back at my old book journals. It's funny how with some books, I can remember exactly where I was when I was reading them, as well as a lot of the specific details. Others are a complete mystery!

      Delete
  2. I'm intrigued by this book! I love the idea of adding older reviews to a blog. I wish I had written down my book thoughts prior to starting my blog. I just never occurred to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diana, I've been sharing my thoughts about books I've read since 1998 or so. It's been a fun project to post these (almost) every Friday.

      Delete
  3. I think I read this book...but I don't remember it!!! I'm so glad that happens to you, too! Fortunately, I generally remember books that I truly loved. Whew. Anyway, I'm going to read this again, and I'm in need of a 'new' author so this will give some books to read.

    By the way, I just finished Anxious People. At first I thought I wasn't going to like it—the style of writing was annoying me. But I kept on and found that I really liked it! Not as much as A Man Called Ove, but it was worthwhile.

    (I'm having problems posting comments to blogger blogs, so I'm submitting twice hoping you'll receive it. :-))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurel, I only vaguely remember some of the introspective thoughts by the mother about her teenaged daughter, maybe because I was having similar feelings about mine. ;) Yes, I generally remember more about the books that I loved.

      I'm only a few chapters into Anxious People and like you, wasn't sure how I was going to like the book. But I just finished listening to the interview between Jack and London and couldn't stop from laughing out loud as I was walking through my neighborhood. Marin Ireland is an excellent reader for the audiobook!

      Sorry you're having problems commenting on Blogger blogs. Thanks for trying twice! :)

      Delete
  4. I have a couple of her books but haven't read any even though they've all received a lot of praise. This one does sound good - I'm wondering if it's one I have on my shelf!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, I wouldn't mind reading more of her books.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!