July 6, 2021

Poem du Jour - Such Silence

Such Silence


As deep as I ever went into the forest

I came upon an old stone bench, very, very old,

and around it a clearing, and beyond that

trees taller and older than I had ever seen.


Such silence!

It really wasn't so far from a town, but it seemed

all the clocks in the world had stopped counting.

So it was hard to suppose the usual rules applied.


Sometimes there's only a hint, a possibility.

What's magical, sometimes, has deeper roots

     than reason.

I hope everyone knows that.


I sat on the bench, waiting for something.

An angel, perhaps.

Or dancers with the legs of goats.


No, I didn't see either. But only, I think, because

     I didn't stay long enough.


~Mary Oliver

6 comments:

  1. Another poem that sits well with my soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it, Ti. I really like this one!

      Delete
  2. Such a good reminder to be still and to observe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a reminder I need almost every day, Laurel!

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!