October 1, 2021

Looking Back - Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind

Looking Back... In an effort to transfer my book journal entries over to this blog, I'm going to attempt to post (in chronological order) an entry every Friday. I may or may not add extra commentary to what I jotted down in these journals.


Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind by Ann B. Ross
Fiction
1990 Perennial
Read in September 2000
Rating: 4/5 (Very Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

Miss Julia, a recently bereaved and newly wealthy widow, is only slightly bemused when one Hazel Marie Puckett appears at her door with a youngster in tow and unceremoniously announces that the child is the bastard son of Miss Julia's late husband. Suddenly, this longtime church member and pillar of her small Southern community finds herself in the center of an unseemly scandal--and the guardian of a wan nine-year-old whose mere presence turns her life upside down.

With razor-sharp wit and perfect "Steel Magnolia" poise, Miss Julia speaks her mind indeed--about a robbery, a kidnapping, and the other disgraceful events precipitated by her husband's death. Fast-paced and charming, with a sure sense of comic drama, a cast of crazy characters, and a strong Southern cadence, Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind will delight listeners from start to end.

My Original Thoughts (2000):

What a charming book! Simply delightful. I couldn't put it down. A Southern tale about a widow, a fortune, an illegitimate child, a kidnapping, a nymphomaniac and a televangelical minister. Laugh out loud humor. Engrossing. A cast of crazy characters you'll fall in love with!

My Current Thoughts:

What a shame that I don't still own my copy of this book. It would be nice to read something light and humorous. I'll add it to my reread list and either get a copy from the library or listen to it on audio. 

8 comments:

  1. A comparison to Clairee in Steel Magnolias is enough to make me want this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenclair, it's been years since I've watched Steel Magnolias, but I remember that I loved it.

      Delete
  2. That sounds really cute and with some humor? Count me in as wanting to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, if you enjoy light Southern fiction, this is pretty good, as I recall.

      Delete
  3. I love Southern novels, even more so now that we're living in the South. Thanks for bringing this one to my attention—I'm hoping I can find it at our library!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurel, this isn't great literature, as I remember, but it was entertaining. I'd be surprised if you can't find it at your library. It's a rather extensive series, if you wind up enjoying it. :)

      Delete
  4. I think we could all use some light and humorous right now. Watching Ted Lasso is helping me with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, light & humorous is not my usual when it comes to books, but yes, we could all use it right now. I'm so anxious to start Ted Lasso. Glad to hear it's a winner.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!