December 11, 2021

Notes On Grief


Nonfiction
2021 Alfred A. Knopf
Finished on December 2, 2021
Rating: 3/5 (Good)

Grief was the celebration of love, those who could feel real grief were lucky to have loved. ~ Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Publisher's Blurb:

During the brutal summer of 2020, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's beloved father, a celebrated professor at the University of Nigeria and an irreplaceable figure in a close-knit family, succumbed unexpectedly to complications of kidney failure. Notes on Grief is Adichie's tribute to him, and a moving meditation on loss. 

Here Adichie offers a candid snapshot of the shock, loneliness, and disillusionment that followed the news of her father's death. Her family, unable to be together except for on video calls, struggles to go through the rites of mourning amid a global crisis of unimaginable scale. As Adichie wrestles with his passing, she recalls with vivid, poignant detail who her father was: a remarkable survivor of the Biafran war, a man of kindness and charm, and a fierce supporter of his youngest daughter. Here is a uniquely personal, profound work of remembrance and hope by one of today's luminaries--a book to bring us together in a time when we need it most. 

Notes On Grief has been on my library list for several months and I finally picked up a copy after being reminded of the book when I read Robin's (A Fondness For Reading) recent blog post. I know that there are people who steer clear of books about death and grief, but I gravitate toward them, hoping to learn and understand from each author's perspective and experience. I've collected dozens of passages about grief from numerous books and find comfort in the shared sentiments on the death of a loved one. The following are two of Adichie's that spoke to me.
Grief is a cruel kind of education. You learn how ungentle mourning can be, how full of anger. You learn how glib condolences can feel. You learn how much grief is about language, the failure of language and the grasping for language. Why are my sides so sore and achy? It's from crying, I'm told. I did not know that we cry with our muscles. The pain is not surprising, but its physicality is: my tongue unbearable bitter, as though I ate a loathed meal and forgot to clean my teeth; on my chest, a heavy, awful weight; and inside my body, a sensation of eternal dissolving. My heart--my actual physical heart, nothing figurative here--is running away from me, has become its own separate thing, beating too fast, its rhythms at odd with mine. This is an affliction not merely of the spirit but of the body, of aches and lagging strength. Flesh, muscles, organs are all compromised. No physical position is comfortable. 
and
I am filled with disbelieving astonishment that the mailman comes as usual and that people are inviting me to speak somewhere and that regular news alerts appear on my phone screen. How is it that the world keeps going, breathing in and out unchanged, while in my soul there is permanent scattering?
Notes on Grief is a slim, compact book that can easily be read in one sitting. Perhaps that is why I wasn't as moved as I've been when reading other books on grief. The reader is given a mere glimpse into Adiche's family life and while it is very obvious that she was extremely close to her father, I felt that I was held at arm's length from her very personal story. The above passages resonated with me (particularly the one about the world going on), but I was not moved to tears as I have been while reading other memoirs on this subject. Overall, I'm glad I read this touching book, but I wish it had been longer. Recommend getting a copy from the library.

15 comments:

  1. Since you have read many other books about this subject, I wonder what you would recommend.

    Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this book, Les.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, I'm going to put together a post with some of my favorite books on the subject. Stay tuned. :)

      Delete
    2. That would be lovely, Les. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. I listened to this one and thought it felt so personal like I could feel her pain as I listened but, I get what you said about somehow feeling an arm's length away. I am wondering how the loss of a loved one during COVID, someone we haven't seen might change the grieving process. It is so true --life just goes on when the mourner feels like everything should shut down and be silent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, I'll bet the audio was much more powerful than the print edition. With regard to losing a loved one during COVID, it must be a little bit like all the folks who lost loved ones in 9/11. It's such a shared loss for so many that the individual loss might feel diminished.

      I suppose mourning clothes had their purpose back in the day. At least people could recognize when someone was grieving by their black clothing.

      Delete
  3. I'll look for it on audio. I love hearing the emotions of the narrator, it brings the book to life for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, it sounds like audio is the way to go with this one.

      Delete
  4. I have heard mixed reviews of this one. Too bad you didn't enjoy it more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, it's so short that I think it's worth reading, if you're interested.

      Delete
  5. A very nice review, Les. Thank you for the mention, too. I feel very much like you in reading books about grief. I, too, am looking to learn from the thoughts and experiences of others who are going through this journey. I find both strength and solace there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Robin. Books about grief have certainly helped me in the past. As I told Deb, I plan to write a post about my favorite books on the subject. Maybe after the holidays...

      Delete
  6. Thank you for sharing. I may check this out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think books on grief have helped me in the past when I needed them. So I will continue to reach for books like these in the future. I'm curious about this one and feel sad already for her loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, there are so many people grieving this year. I wonder if we'll see an increase in books of this type in the coming months. I plan to put together a post about my favorite books on the subject sometime next year.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!