February 8, 2022

Hamnet


Hamnet by Maggie O'Farrell
Fiction
2021 Vintage Books (first published in 2020)
Finished on February 1, 2022
Rating: 5/5 (Excellent!)

Publisher's Blurb:

A thrilling departure: A short, piercing, deeply moving new novel from the acclaimed author of I Am, I Am, I Am, about the death of Shakespeare's eleven-year-old son Hamnet--a name interchangeable with Hamlet in fifteenth-century Britain--and the years leading up to the production of his great play.

England, 1580: The Black Death creeps across the land, an ominous threat infecting the healthy, the sick, the old and the young alike. The of days is near, but life always goes on. A young Latin tutor--penniless and bullied by a violent father--falls in love with an extraordinary, eccentric young woman. Agnes is a wild creature who walks her family's land with a falcon on her glove and is known throughout the countryside for her unusual gifts as a healer, understanding plants and potions better than she does people. Once she settles with her husband on Henley Street in Stratford-upon-Avon, she becomes a fiercely protective mother and a steadfast, centrifugal force in the life of her young husband, whose career on the London stage is just taking off when his beloved young son succumbs to sudden fever.

A luminous portrait of a marriage, a shattering evocation of a family ravaged by grief and loss, and a hypnotic recreation of the story that inspired one of the greatest literary masterpieces of all time, Hamnet is mesmerizing and seductive, an impossible-to-put-down novel from one of our most gifted writers.

Hamnet is the first book I've read by Maggie O'Farrell and it won't be the last. I was somewhat concerned that this popular novel had been overhyped, but it lived up to all of the accolades and then some. I wasn't discouraged by the slow start and the fact that I continue to reflect on the story and O'Farrell's lyrical writing is reason enough for my 5-star rating. I am disappointed that I missed my book group's discussion of this remarkable book, which has inspired me to seek out more information about Hamnet's mother. I'm also planning to reread Year of Wonders, Geraldine Brooks' historical novel about the 1666 bubonic plague. I agree with Brooks' praise for O'Farrell's writing:
[O'Farrell] has a melodic relationship to language. There is a poetic cadence to her writing and a lushness in her descriptions of the natural world... We can smell the tang of the various new leathers in the glover's workshop, the fragrance of the apples racked a finger-width apart in the winter storage shed.... As the book unfolds, it brings its story to a tender and ultimately hopeful conclusion: that even the greatest grief, the most damaged marriage, and the most shattered heart might find some solace, some healing. 
In addition to learning about Shakespeare's family, I enjoyed the chapter devoted to an imagined path in which the plague travels from the island of Murano to Warwickshire, England during the summer of 1596. Each encounter and turn of events involving fleas, rats, a monkey, the crew of a ship, a cabin boy and a box of Venetian glass beads makes for a page-turning read. 

While this is Agnes' story, each of O'Farrell's main characters is fully realized and plays important roles in this rewarding novel. My heart broke for Hamnet's parents, but I felt even more sadness for his twin sister, Judith. Her grief is palpable and heart-rending; to lose a sibling, let alone a twin, has to be one life's greatest cruelties.

I'm looking forward to reading more by Maggie O'Farrell and will undoubtedly read this one a second time. What a gem!

18 comments:

  1. Oh whoosh! So glad you liked it. It certainly a story that comes to life. And I liked the audio production. Sorry you missed your book club chat - that would've been good. There's good imagination in this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, it really is a story that has great imagination and comes to life. Maybe I'll listen to the audio for a 2nd reading... someday.

      Delete
  2. I still haven't read Hamnet, but maybe I will get to it soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen, it's excellent. Don't miss it!

      Delete
  3. Maggie O'Farrell is an author I must try this year! I'd planned to start with This Must Be the Place on Anne Bogel's recommendation, but you may have just changed my mind. Great review, Les.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I didn't realize that you haven't yet read Hamnet, JoAnn! Yes, you really do need to read O'Farrell. I have This Must Be the Place on my TBR list, too.

      Delete
  4. This has been on my radar but I haven't gotten around to adding it to my TBR. I'll add it now that I've read your glowing review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen, it's such a great read! I'm anxious to try more by O'Farrell, probably starting with her memoir.

      Delete
  5. I’m glad you liked it, Les. I found it so moving and true! I’d love to learn more about that part of Shakespeare’s story. I also plan to read more by Maggie O’Farrell!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Robin. It was much better than I had imagined it would be! I'm excited to read more by O'Farrell. Time to hit the library!

      Delete
  6. I thought this was fabulous. I felt like I stepped right into the world of Shakespeare's family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, that's exactly how I felt! I hear the audiobook is very good, so I'll give it a listen in another year or so. I wonder how it would be on the big screen...

      Delete
  7. I really thought this was wonderful as well; I need to read more by this author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, I plan to read her memoir when I get that chance.

      Delete
  8. I am always nervous to read a really hyped book and so happy when it turns out to live up to all the expectations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Often times, I'll wait a year or two until the hype dies down before I start reading. Thanks for stopping by with your comment. It came up as anonymous, so I can't refer to you by name. :)

      Delete
  9. This sounds interesting—and sad. I will definitely give it a try. I'm okay with sad if it's not just totally devastating, if that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurel, it is sad, but no, not devastating. I think you'll enjoy it.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!