February 12, 2022

In a Dark House

Duncan Kincaid/Gemma James Series #10
Mystery
2004 William Morrow
Finished on February 8, 2022
Rating: 4/5 (Very Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

Scotland Yard detectives Duncan Kincaid and Gemma James return in a chilling and suspenseful tale of murder, kidnapping, madness, and the frightening ordeal of a helpless child, the latest masterwork of crime fiction from New York Times Notable Book of the Year author Deborah Crombie...

An abandoned warehouse burns next door to a women's shelter for victims of spousal abuse, an apparent case of arson. But it is the charred corpse within -- a female body burned beyond all recognition -- combined with the political sensitivity of the case, that entangles Superintendent Duncan Kincaid in its twisted skein.

At the same time, Kincaid's lover and former partner, Gemma James, is coping with twin crises of her own, one personal and the other professional. Gemma must put her private concerns aside to investigate the disappearance of a hospital administrator, a beautiful, emotionally fragile young woman who vanished without a trace. Yet neither Gemma nor Kincaid realizes how closely their cases are connected -- or how important the resolutions will be for a young child who was a victim of parental abduction.

In a Dark House may be my favorite installment in Deborah Crombie's Kincaid/James mystery series. I was pulled in from the opening pages and couldn't read fast enough. In her typical fashion, Crombie introduces a lot of characters, but their connections are made clear early on. There are multiple threads to the mystery, and I enjoyed sorting out the details and trying to solve the case. I was kept guessing until the big reveal, happy that I didn't figure it too quickly. 

Duncan and Gemma continue to grow as a couple and family life remains a challenge for the two detectives and their young sons. While I enjoy this subplot in the books, it would be nice to see some resolution to Kitt's custody issue in the next installment or two; it's becoming somewhat tiresome.

6 comments:

  1. :) You are catching up on this series quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen, I feel like I'm making progress, reading one a month. I have nine remaining before the next release in a year. I think I'll catch up by then. :)

      Delete
  2. I haven't ever read a book by this author, but I see good reviews. I like it when I don't figure out the answer to a mystery too easily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, some of her earlier mysteries in this series were duds, but I've enjoyed several and am eager to read more. Maybe I'll bump up my goal to two a month instead of just one.

      Delete
  3. You are doing a good job on this series; glad you enjoyed this one. I still have not tried this author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, I enjoying reading one a month. It helps keep the flow of the relationships and past storylines fresh in my mind.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!