February 25, 2022

Looking Back - All the Pretty Horses

Looking Back... In an effort to transfer my book journal entries over to this blog, I'm going to attempt to post (in chronological order) an entry every Friday. I may or may not add extra commentary to what I jotted down in these journals.


All the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy
Border Trilogy #1
Fiction
1992 Vintage International
Read in February 2001
Rating: 4/5 (Very Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

The national bestseller and the first volume in Cormac McCarthy's Border Trilogy, All the Pretty Horses is the tale of John Grady Cole, who at sixteen finds himself at the end of a long line of Texas ranchers, cut off from the only life he has ever imagined for himself. With two companions, he sets off for Mexico on a sometimes idyllic, sometimes comic journey to a place where dreams are paid for in blood. Winner of the National Book Award for Fiction.

My Original Thoughts (2001):

Wonderful story! Engrossing. Beautiful passages. I never thought I'd enjoy a western so much, but I did and now I want to read the other books in this trilogy. The only negative comment I have is my frustration with the large amount of untranslated dialogue. I relied on my Spanish dictionary throughout the entire novel. 

A story filled with horses, cowboys, gunplay and romance. 

My Current Thoughts:

I remember how surprised I was that I enjoyed this novel as much as I did. I never did get around to reading the other books in the trilogy, but I still have my copy of this book so maybe I'll read all three back-to-back. The only other western that I've read is Whiskey When We're Dry, which I also loved. And, yes, I still have Lonesome Dove on my TBR list... 

4 comments:

  1. You will be glad to read Lonesome Dove when you finally do read it. What a marvel. And I was amazed to find out how much I loved True Grit.

    This is a book I might like to reread. I didn't like it when I first read it back in 2009, but I think I might have more appreciation for it today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, I have several "chunksters" that I keep meaning to read, but others (half their size!) keep calling to me instead. As I continue to cull books from my backlist TBR shelves, those hefty books remain in place. I may spend the summer reading several and leave the shiny new releases for another year. As far as rereading All the Pretty Horses, I'm adding it to that list for sometime in the near future. It's been long enough that I don't remember much about it (or the movie).

      Delete
  2. I have never read a western but have heard wonderful things about Lonesome Dover and this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, this one is quite lyrical, as I recall. It's definitely worthwhile.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!