February 4, 2022

Looking Back - A Good House

Looking Back... In an effort to transfer my book journal entries over to this blog, I'm going to attempt to post (in chronological order) an entry every Friday. I may or may not add extra commentary to what I jotted down in these journals.


A Good House by Bonnie Burnard
Fiction
1999 Henry Holt
Finished on January 25, 2001
Rating: 4/5 (Very Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

In Canadian short-story writer Bonnie Burnard's deeply moving novel, we meet the Chambers family: Bill and Sylvia and their three children, an ordinary family from Ontario. Beginning in 1949, we follow the Chambers for the next fifty years through the many joys and disappointments of their lives: a childhood accident, a tragic illness ending in death, and a remarriage for Bill. Some of the children choose a traditional route, marrying and having children of their own. One forges her own very new path. The clan expands and changes; marriages fail and careers bloom. But despite the heart-aches and difficulties each member of the family faces, there is never a lack of love to be found. With writing so clear and crisp it rings with honesty and grace, Burnard's characters work their way under your skin and into your heart. An auspicious debut. 

This extraordinarily moving and beautifully crafted first novel was a number one bestseller in Canada where it won one of the country's most prestigious literary awards, the Giller Prize, in 1999.

My Original Thoughts (2001):

Post WWII saga spanning almost 50 years. The first few chapters reminded me of the TV show "Father Knows Best" or the movie "Pleasantville," yet as the story progressed, pain and suffering surface in all of the characters' lives. Realistic family dramas. Many events shocked me - not a predictable novel by any means. Very matter-of-fact writing style. 3rd person POV, which kept me at a distance as a reader. Page turner, yet not action-packed. Lots of characters coming and going.

My Current Thoughts:

I have no memory of this book.

15 comments:

  1. Oh I love the cover art and the description and your thoughts make me want to try it. Have you read Mary Lawson? Another great Canadian author. I loved all her books and just picked up her latest from the library: A Town Called Solace - JoAnn loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, I've read a couple of novels by Mary Lawson and after reading JoAnn's review of A Town Called Solace, I'm anxious to get to it.

      Delete
  2. I have no memory of this book either, but I rated it with four stars and even wrote a short review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, I saw your review on Goodreads. Isn't it funny how neither of us remember the details of this book?

      Delete
  3. I remember loving this book! But also that not much happened, lol. I read it after two Oprah books with horrible secrets revealed (child abuse, incest,etc) and I was struck by how normal The Good House family was. Sure, there were warts, but it was such a satisfying read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe that's why I don't remember anything about the book. More of a character-driven narrative than plot-driven, although you'd think I'd remember one of the main characters. Oh, well. It was many years ago. :)

      Delete
  4. :) I'm often frustrated to realize how little I remember about a book--even about novels that I really like at the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen, it is frustrating, isn't it? I can usually have a general impression of my favorite reads, but not always.

      Delete
  5. "I have no memory of this book," LOL!!! I know I've said it before, but I'm glad it's not just me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, I think it happens to most of us, particularly those who we read as much as we do!

      Delete
  6. I haven't heard of this one, but post WWII through "now" is such an interesting era.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, I wish I remembered more about this novel.

      Delete
  7. "I have no memory of this book" happens to me more often than I would like too. My mom has even called me and said those exact words! It does sound good though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen, I guess it makes re-reading a book more appealing. ;)

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!