April 8, 2022

Looking Back - The Testament

Looking Back... In an effort to transfer my book journal entries over to this blog, I'm going to attempt to post (in chronological order) an entry every Friday. I may or may not add extra commentary to what I jotted down in these journals.


The Testament by John Grisham
Fiction
1999 Island Books
Read in February 2001
Rating: 3/5 (Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

In a plush Virginia office, a rich, angry old man is furiously rewriting his will. With his death just hours away, Troy Phelan wants to send a message to his children, his ex-wives, and his minions, a message that will touch off a vicious legal battle and transform dozens of lives.

Because Troy Phelan's new will names a sole surprise heir to his eleven-billion-dollar fortune: a mysterious woman named Rachel Lane, a missionary living deep in the jungles of Brazil.

Enter the lawyers. Nate O'Riley is fresh out of rehab, a disgraced corporate attorney handpicked for his last job: to find Rachel Lane at any cost. As Phelan's family circles like vultures in D.C., Nate is crashing through the Brazilian jungle, entering a world where money means nothing, where death is just one misstep away, and where a woman - pursued by enemies and friends alike - holds a stunning surprise of her own.

My Original Thoughts (2001):

It's been a very long time since I've read anything by John Grisham. I enjoyed this novel, although it wasn't quite the page-turner that I expected. I didn't really get engrossed until over halfway through. I was pleased it didn't have a perfect ending. I enjoyed the story of Nate's journey to Brazil in search of Rachel, the missionary and soon-to-be billionaire. Of course, as with most of Grisham's books, it would make an entertaining movie.

My Current Thoughts: 

I have no memory of this book at all!

4 comments:

  1. I've only read one John Grisham mystery, but I will say that I thought it was very well written. I'm not much of a mystery reader, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, I've read several books by Grisham, but apparently this one wasn't very memorable.

      Delete
  2. I have read a ton of Grisham over the years and this one wasn't one of my favorites. Have you tried Gray Mountain? It's about Appalachia and coal mining and is really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, glad I'm not the only one who didn't love this one. I haven't tried Gray Mountain, but it sounds interesting. I'll take a look at it. Thanks!

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!