June 24, 2022

Looking Back - Provinces of Night

Looking Back... In an effort to transfer my book journal entries over to this blog, I'm going to attempt to post (in chronological order) an entry every Friday. I may or may not add extra commentary to what I jotted down in these journals.


Provinces of Night by William Gay
Fiction
2000 Doubleday
Finished on April 7, 2001
Rating: 4/5 (Very Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

It’s 1952. Thirty years before, E.F. Bloodworth gunned down a deputy and commenced a vagrant’s life of itinerant banjo picking, but he’s finally coming home. Two of his sons won’t be home to greet him: Warren lives a life of alcoholic philandering down in Alabama, and Boyd has gone to Detroit in vengeful pursuit of his wife and the peddler she ran off with. His third son, Brady, is still home, but he’s an addled soothsayer given to voodoo and bent on doing whatever it takes to keep E.F. from seeing the wife he abandoned. Only Fleming, E.F.’s grandson, is pleased with the old man’s homecoming, but Fleming’s life is soon to careen down an unpredictable path hewn by the beautiful Raven Lee Halfacre.

In the great Southern tradition of Faulkner, Styron, and Cormac McCarthy, William Gay wields a prose as evocative and lush as the haunted and humid world it depicts. Provinces of Night is a tale redolent of violence and redemption— a whiskey-scented, knife-scarred novel whose indelible finale is not an ending nearly so much as it is an apotheosis.

My Original Thoughts (2001):

Took me a while to get interested, but I'm glad I stuck with it. Beautiful writing! Great suspense in the last 40 pages. Not really plot-driven. Fleming is my favorite character. Wise beyond his years. Humorous passages involving Fleming and Albright. Rich language filled with metaphors. A sense of poetry.

My Current Thoughts:

Reading the synopsis makes me wonder why I read this novel since it doesn't appeal to me now. My husband loved the book, which is probably why I chose to read. I have no memory of the characters or plot, but I love Southern writing. Maybe Rod told me it reminded him of Pat Conroy's writing. Reading some of the quoted passages on Goodreads makes me think I might like to read it again.

I stumbled on the following while following various links on Gay's website:
The 2010 film Bloodworth is based on Provinces of Night and is directed by Shane Dax Taylor. It stars Val Kilmer, Kris Kristofferson, and Hillary Duff.

I've never seen the film, but will give it a try since Kris is in it!

4 comments:

  1. I'm a little surprised that you read this book, too, Les. It seems different from the other books you were reading at the time. But I'm glad to see you enjoyed it so much. Be sure to share what you think about the movie based on it when you get a chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, my husband must have done a good job convincing me that I'd enjoy it! The writing was certainly good.

      Delete
  2. It's funny to read a synopsis of a book and wonder what appealed to us. I can see the recommendation from your husband leading you to read something you wouldn't normally pick up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, I try to read my husband's recs (with the exception of Moby Dick) since he's so good about trying the books I suggest to him. He must have been pretty persuasive with this one.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!