July 25, 2022

Summer of '69


Fiction
2019 Hachette Audio
Narrated by Erin Bennett
Fininshed on July 13, 2022
Rating: 4/5 (Very Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

Four siblings experience the drama, intrigue, and upheaval of the '60s summer when everything changed in Elin Hilderbrand's #1 New York Times bestselling historical novel.

Welcome to the most tumultuous summer of the twentieth century. It's 1969, and for the Levin family, the times they are a-changing. Every year the children have looked forward to spending the summer at their grandmother's historic home in downtown Nantucket. But like so much else in America, nothing is the same: Blair, the oldest sister, is marooned in Boston, pregnant with twins and unable to travel. Middle sister Kirby, caught up in the thrilling vortex of civil rights protests and determined to be independent, takes a summer job on Martha's Vineyard. Only-son Tiger is an infantry soldier, recently deployed to Vietnam. And thirteen-year-old Jessie suddenly feels like an only child, marooned in the house with her out-of-touch grandmother and her worried mother, while each of them hides a troubling secret.

As the summer heats up, Ted Kennedy sinks a car in Chappaquiddick, man flies to the moon, and Jessie and her family experience their own dramatic upheavals along with the rest of the country. In her first historical novel, rich with the details of an era that shaped both a nation and an island thirty miles out to sea, Elin Hilderbrand once again earns her title as queen of the summer novel.

A perfect beach read! I enjoy Elin Hilderbrand's summery novels and this one didn't disappoint. Erin Bennett does a nice job with the variety of voices for the audio narration (I'm always amazed when a female reader nails the male voices) and the family drama kept me interested without being over the top. 

This is not literary fiction, but I thoroughly enjoyed the book, almost as much as 28 Summers. If you enjoy historical fiction (this is Hilderbrand's first), Summer of '69 isn't quite as heavy as those set during World War II. (Ok, it's a bit light and simplistic, but as I said, a perfect beach read.) Plus, there's no alternating time periods, although the POV does switch between the three sisters and their mother. Overall, a worthwhile read. Recommend.

I love that each chapter title is the name of a song from 1969. I plan to put together a Spotify playlist of all these great songs:

Fortunate Son (Creedence Clearwater Revival)

Both Sides Now (Joni Mitchell)

Born to Be Wild (Steppenwolf)

Fly Me to the Moon (Frank Sinatra)

Time of the Season (The Zombies)

Magic Carpet Ride (Steppenwolf)

Those Were the Days (Mary Hopkin)

Suspicious Minds (Elvis Presley)

Young Girl (Gary Puckett & The Union Gap)

Everyday People (Sly & the Family Stone)

More Today Than Yesterday (Spiral Staircase)

Piece of My Heart (Janis Joplin)

Everybody's Talkin' (Harry Nilsson)

Mother's Little Helper (The Rolling Stones)

Help! (The Beatles)

White Rabbit (Jefferson Airplane)

Summertime Blues (The Who)

I Heard It Through the Grapevine (Creedence Clearwater Revival)

19th Nervous Breakdown (The Rolling Stones)

A Whiter Shade of Pale (Procol Harum)

Whatever Lola Wants (Sarah Vaughan)

Sunshine of Your Love (Cream)

Can't Find My Way Home (Blind Faith)

Ring of Fire (Johnny Cash)

All Along the Watchtower (Bob Dylan)

Midnight Confessions (The Grass Roots)

For What It's Worth (Buffalo Springfield)

Get Back (The Beatles)

Someday We'll Be Together (Diana Ross & The Supremes)

13 comments:

  1. There are not enough books set in the 1960s for me. I like the way the author used song titles from 1969 for chapter titles. Your idea of making a music list on Spotify for the book is great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, I really enjoyed the time period and references to various events in history. I made the playlist on Spotify and we enjoyed listening to it last night while entertaining friends. There are numerous playlists with the same title (Summer of '69), but you can find it with my account name (Les in OR).

      Delete
  2. I loved this as well and yes, ALL those songs brought back so many memories of me in my first car and brand new 8-track player LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was really good on audio, Vicki. I love the music of that era, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Diane, those songs really do bring back memories, don't they? I didn't have an 8-track player in my car, but I had one in my all-in-one stereo system (with an AM/FM radio and turntable). :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's been a while since I read a book by this author. I love the song titles - some of my favorite songs ever are on this list. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, I enjoy her summer novels. And, yes! Those songs are great, aren't they? I wound up making a Spotify playlist and have enjoyed listening to them as I puttering around the house & yard.

      Delete
  6. That is going to be an awesome playlist! Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, if you use Spotify you can find it on my public list (my account name is Les in OR). The playlist is called Summer of '69.

      Delete
  7. Wow! That is a fantastic list of songs!

    I've only read two of Hilderbrand's novels, I think. They were two of her winter novels. The first one was just good enough that I read the second one, which I disliked. I just looked back at my review and it is scathing. :-D I knew it irritated me but I forgot exactly how much. Maybe I would have better luck with her summer books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen, I've been listening to the playlist for days now! Hilderbrand picked some great songs, didn't she? I think I've read four of her books and I definitely prefer her summer settings. I read Winter Street a few years ago and gave it a 2/5 rating.

      Delete
  8. Great songs in 1969! I love the music of that era. Joni Mitchell just sang Both Sides Now at the Newport folk festival .... and hearing it after her stroke in 2015 .... blew me away ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, there sure was a lot of great music coming out of that era, wasn't there? I watched the videos of the Newport Folk Festival and got choked up listening to Joni sing with Brandi Carlile. What a recovery she had from her stroke! Amazing.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!