August 26, 2022

Looking Back - World of Pies

Looking Back... In an effort to transfer my book journal entries over to this blog, I'm going to attempt to post (in chronological order) an entry every Friday. I may or may not add extra commentary to what I jotted down in these journals.


Fiction
2000 Hyperion
Finished on May 14, 2001
Rating: 3.5/5 (Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

Set in a small town in Texas in the 1960s, where there “wasn’t a lot to pick from summer job-wise: counter girl at Jerry’s Dairy King, shampoo girl at Babs’s Tint ‘n’ Clip,” or the maid job at the Bluebonnet Motel, World of Pies introduces readers to a young girl, Roxanne, as she begins to come of age.

Roxanne is twelve years old and crazy about baseball in 1962, the year of a pie baking contest that will change her life forever. Readers get a first-hand glimpse at Roxanne as she witnesses her first piece of racial politics, when her mother makes an issue of the fact that a neighbor is entering a pie baked by her black maid under her own name. The summer of 1962 brings Roxanne her first glance of life that isn’t always fair, yet readers still return to the warmth and coziness of small town life where Roxanne is blossoming into a young woman. In other exquisitely written vignettes that add up to a delightful episodic novel, Roxanne can be found debating the virtues of nail polish and makeup with her best friend, or trying to figure out what sort of summer job is available in such a small town as Annette.

The recipes following each chapter–which include Aunt Ruthie’s Cinnamon Rolls, Mabel’s Angel Food Cake with Chocolate Sauce, and of course Miss Cherry Pie–evoke a sweet sensation that makes Annette, Texas seem more like home than anywhere else in the whole world. Filled with a unique blend of just the right ingredients–love, compassion, and humor, readers will enjoy the smells, tastes, and comforts of Annette long after they finish World of Pies.

My Original Thoughts (2001):

A quick, light read. Quite enjoyable in spite of the simplistic writing. 

My Current Thoughts:

I wish I still had my copy of this book! I don't remember too much about it, but it would be fun to read it again. According to my reading journal, I read it in less than two days. Sounds like a perfect summer read!

6 comments:

  1. I think I read that one. Seems a bit familiar. Too lazy to get up and go find my 2001 reading journal. One thing I am doing right now - cataloguing my journals. I had a spreadsheet at one point, but then that computer bit the dust and I lost it. Never began again, but now with needing some distractions from the 'banging, etc.', I'm entering my reads. Going backwards by year. I'm working on 2011 right now. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, it was probably an online book group selection (or recommendation), so I'm not surprised that it sounds familiar to you. Good luck with your project. I've been blogging about my past reads in these weekly "Looking Back" posts for several years now. While I don't have a lot to add to my original comments, it's nice to have a record of them here (and on Goodreads). I started my blog in 2006, so I only have 4 1/2 more years to document. ;)

      Delete
  2. I have strong memories of reading this book. I enjoyed it so much.

    Here's my entire review, from June of 2002: "I want to read this book again! Love this book! Texas!"

    I've just added it to my wish list. I really would like to read it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, I'm going to see if I can get a copy from my library! It was good, wasn't it?

      Delete
  3. I think I'd want the book for the recipes! :) I feel like I've read this one or maybe heard about it in one of my book groups.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, I bet a lot of our online book groups read this one back in the day!

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!