September 25, 2022

The Sound of Broken Glass

 

Duncan Kincaid/Gemma James Series #15
Mystery
2013 William Morrow
Finished on September 11, 2022
Rating: 4/5 (Very Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

In the past . . . On a blisteringly hot August afternoon in Crystal Palace, once home to the tragically destroyed Great Exhibition, a solitary thirteen-year-old boy meets his next door neighbor, a recently widowed young teacher hoping to make a new start in the tight-knit South London community. Drawn together by loneliness, the unlikely pair form a deep connection that ends in a shattering act of betrayal.

In the present . . . On a cold January morning in London, Detective Inspector Gemma James is back on the job now that her husband, Detective Superintendent Duncan Kincaid, is at home to care for their three-year-old foster daughter. Assigned to lead a Murder Investigation Team in South London, she's assisted by her trusted colleague, newly promoted Detective Sergeant Melody Talbot. Their first case, a crime scene at a seedy hotel in Crystal Palace. The victim, a well-respected barrister, found naked, trussed, and apparently strangled. Is it an unsavory accident or murder? In either case, he was not alone, and Gemma's team must find his companion - a search that leads them into unexpected corners and forces them to contemplate unsettling truths about the weaknesses and passions that lead to murder. Ultimately, they will begin to question everything they think they know about their world and those they trust most.

Another entertaining installment in Deborah Crombie's Kincaid/James series. I enjoyed learning the history of the Crystal Palace, as well as the continuation of Duncan and Gemma's family situation. The developing relationships among the supporting cast of characters is thankfully unpredictable and added to my overall enjoyment of this police procedural. There are several coincidences centered around the murders and the personal lives of the detectives, but I was willing to suspend disbelief. A doozy of a cliff-hanger has me anxious to get to the next book in the series, but we're still on the road (we were in Glacier National Park for a week), so I'll need to be patient!

10 comments:

  1. You are breezing your way through this series. It sounds tempting but no new series for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, only a few left and I'll be caught up! I've enjoyed this series, but am eager to start another. Susan Hill has a very good series that I've sampled and will start all over with.

      Delete
  2. I really like detective series where we get to know the character's families and follow their progress as well as their work friendships.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, this series has a nice balance between the mysteries and the personal stories. I'll be sorry when I've finished and will have to wait for new releases.

      Delete
  3. I'm usually not a fan of series but I do have a few I love. This sounds good so I may check into the other books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, this has developed into a very good series and I look forward to each new installment.

      Delete
  4. It's nice that you have been able to go back and read all the books in this series. Glad that you are enjoying them.

    I've always wanted to visit Glacier. I look forward to seeing photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, my mom owns most of the books in this series, so it's been fun reading one installment each month. It will be strange to have to look forward to a new release once I've caught up!

      I've taken so many photos on this trip, but I'll start sharing the pictures in the coming weeks after we return home.

      Delete
  5. Wow glad you're there still at the Park. Beautiful days now!! Cool mornings and warm afternoons. Are the leaves changing color there yet?! We have some here. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, we're actually in Boise, Idaho and head into Oregon today. We were only in GNP (and surrounding areas) for 9 nights. Places were already getting ready to (or had already) shut down for the season. I was able to take the park's shuttle a couple of times. Once was on the Going to the Sun Road on the final day of the shuttle service. Glad I caught that one and was able to see Logan Pass and go for a hike to Hidden Lake. Can't wait to go back! Yes, the leaves are changing color there, but I'll bet in another week or two the hills will be stunning. Saw some aspens turning gold, but not as impactful as they probably get when they've all turned.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!