November 10, 2022

We Begin at the End

 
Fiction
2020 Henry Holt and Company
Finished on November 3, 2022
Rating: 5/5 (Excellent!)

Winner of the Gold Dagger for Best Crime Novel from the Crime Writers’ Association (UK)
Winner for Best International Crime Fiction from Australian Crime Writers Association
An Instant New York Times Bestseller

Publisher's Blurb:

There are two kinds of families: the ones we are born into and the ones we create. 

Walk has never left the coastal California town where he grew up. He may have become the chief of police, but he’s still trying to heal the old wound of having given the testimony that sent his best friend, Vincent King, to prison decades before. Now, thirty years later, Vincent is being released.

Duchess is a thirteen-year-old self-proclaimed outlaw. Her mother, Star, grew up with Walk and Vincent. Walk is in overdrive trying to protect them, but Vincent and Star seem bent on sliding deeper into self-destruction. Star always burned bright, but recently that light has dimmed, leaving Duchess to parent not only her mother but her five-year-old brother. At school the other kids make fun of Duchess―her clothes are torn, her hair a mess. But let them throw their sticks, because she’ll throw stones. Rules are for other people. She’s just trying to survive and keep her family together.

A fortysomething-year-old sheriff and a thirteen-year-old girl may not seem to have a lot in common. But they both have come to expect that people will disappoint you, loved ones will leave you, and if you open your heart it will be broken. So when trouble arrives with Vincent King, Walk and Duchess find they will be unable to do anything but usher it in, arms wide closed.

Chris Whitaker has written an extraordinary novel about people who deserve so much more than life serves them. At times devastating, with flashes of humor and hope throughout, it is ultimately an inspiring tale of how the human spirit prevails and how, in the end, love―in all its different guises―wins.

This book! I went into it completely cold, not even glancing at the publisher's blurb, but relying solely on the rave reviews of my fellow bloggers. I was not disappointed, and it will most definitely wind up on my Best of 2022 list. We Begin at the End took my breath away, made me angry, tugged at my heartstrings, and made me cry. I loved it. I loved the characters, who crawled into my subconscious, invading my dreams, lingering long after I finished reading. Duchess is one tough girl, swearing up a storm and prepared to take on anyone who threatens her family, especially her five-year-old brother, Robin. 

Part mystery, part coming-of-age, I was reminded of other deeply affecting novels with their tough, scrappy heroes, and kindness (and love) of strangersEventide (Kent Harruf), The Twelve Lives of Samuel Hawley (Hannah Tinti), The Book Thief (Markus Zusak) and The Homecoming of Samuel Lake (Jenny Wingfield). I loved the way Duchess grew as a character, learning to trust (and even love) those who opened their hearts and homes to her, in spite of her brittle and caustic personality.
Duchess just stared. Some days, mean and tough was hard to locate.

We Begin at the End is not an easy read. In addition to the profanity (which is not gratuitous), there is a fair amount of violence coupled with heartbreaking grief. And yet, this is an extraordinary novel that I won't easily forget. I'm already thinking about a second reading, while hoping for a sequel. 

See what others have to say:

I LOVED this book. From the riveting plot to the beautiful writing. But mostly what kept me longing to get back to it each day were the characters, especially young Duchess. Fierce, brave, vulnerable, she leaps off the page fully formed. As does Walk. How aptly named. A chief of police on his own inexorable journey. This is a book to be read and reread and an author to be celebrated. ~Louise Penny

Two damaged children--one timid and sweet, the other foul-mouthed and furious--will break readers' hearts in this well-plotted and perfectly paced novel. If, like me, you love stories that kidnap your intended schedule because you can't not keep turning the pages, then I wholeheartedly recommend Chris Whitaker's We Begin at the End. ~Wally Lamb 


8 comments:

  1. Oh, such a rave review! I must add this to my TBR list, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Helen! I suggested this book to my book group last year and am eager for our discussion later this month. It's a gem! I listened to a sample of the audio for a possible second reading, but didn't care for the narrator, so I suggest reading the print edition, if possible.

      Delete
  2. Wow I'm glad you liked this one. I guess I wasn't sure it'd be for you since it's rough in places and has quite a bit of bad language in it so that hit me a bit ... but from my April 2021 review I guess I liked it quite a bit too. https://www.thecuecard.com/top-picks/and-the-oscar-goes-to/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, thanks for the link to your review. I went back and read through all the comments (including mine) and was sorry to learn (via Ti) that Whitaker is finished with Duchess. I was kind of hoping there might be a sequel. Oh, well. I really did enjoy the book, even with all the swearing. We'll see what my book group thinks this Thursday, though. They may have been put off by the bad language. It didn't really bother me.

      Delete
  3. I loved this one and the author was so gracious when we all flooded his social media to discuss the book. It will be made into a movie soon. Casting was in the works a few months ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ti, I was hoping someone would make this into a movie! It will be fun to see who they cast. Thanks for the heads-up.

      Delete
  4. I really want to read this one! You mentioned The Book Thief (which is an all time favorite) so I can't wait to read about Duchess!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, it's such a great book filled with memorable characters. I loved Duchess!

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!