November 26, 2022

Wintering: The Power of Rest and Retreat in Difficult Times

 

Nonfiction - Memoir
2020 Riverhead Books
Finished on November 18, 2022
Rating: 2/5 (OK)

Publisher's Blurb:

Sometimes you slip through the cracks: unforeseen circumstances like an abrupt illness, the death of a loved one, a break up, or a job loss can derail a life. These periods of dislocation can be lonely and unexpected. For May, her husband fell ill, her son stopped attending school, and her own medical issues led her to leave a demanding job. Wintering explores how she not only endured this painful time, but embraced the singular opportunities it offered.

A moving personal narrative shot through with lessons from literature, mythology, and the natural world, May’s story offers instruction on the transformative power of rest and retreat. Illumination emerges from many sources: solstice celebrations and dormice hibernation, C.S. Lewis and Sylvia Plath, swimming in icy waters and sailing arctic seas.

Ultimately Wintering invites us to change how we relate to our own fallow times. May models an active acceptance of sadness and finds nourishment in deep retreat, joy in the hushed beauty of winter, and encouragement in understanding life as cyclical, not linear. A secular mystic, May forms a guiding philosophy for transforming the hardships that arise before the ushering in of a new season.

I had high expectations for this book, but unfortunately, it didn't wow me. I enjoyed some parts better than others, but overall found it unrelatable, meandering, and lacking focus. Is it a memoir? A collection of essays? A self-improvement guide? I liked it well enough to finish, but it's not one that I'll hang on to.

10 comments:

  1. Hmmm. I've been mildly interested in this book, but not enough to actually seek it out. Guess I'm still not in a hurry. I appreciate your opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, it was a fairly quick read, but still missed the mark. I wonder if it would be good on audio? It certainly faced steep competition as I had just read two fantastic memoirs prior to picking it up.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous4:10 AM

      Agreed. I was disappointed, too. -Care (of Books & Pie)

      Delete
    3. Care, I checked to see if you posted a review, but only found a mention of it in your list of books read. Looks like you gave it one more star than I did, but we both agree that it was disappointing. Oh, well. They can't all be winners, right?

      Delete
  2. If a book isn't working for me, I tend to stop reading it so I am impressed that you kept going. Too bad it was disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, I kept hoping it would improve the further along I read. The author writes beautifully, but the book needs a tighter focus, in my opinion. ;)

      Delete
  3. I read (listened) last January - winter- and I really liked it when I finished. However, I can’t remember much about it and I don’t have lingering ‘loved it!’ feelings when I think about it. Rather, I’m thinking why did I like it so much?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. raidergirl3, I listened to a sample of the audiobook and can see why you enjoyed it so well. Rebecca Lee has a wonderful voice for narration!

      Delete
  4. I think I retreated during the Trump years ... and the pandemic too. which were definitely difficult times. Maybe moving to the countryside too is more retreating. But from the sounds of the book, it seems a bit all over the place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, the book was definitely scattered. Like you, we certainly retreated here in our small community, nestled in the forest, during the pandemic. Let's hope we don't have to retreat like that again!

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!