December 22, 2022

Garden of Lamentations

 

Duncan Kincaid/Gemma James Series #17
2017  William Morrow
Finished on December 16 , 2022
Rating: 4/5 (Very Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

Scotland Yard detectives Duncan Kincaid and Gemma James are drawn into separate investigations that hold disturbing—and deadly—complications for their own lives in this powerful mystery in the bestselling series.

On a beautiful morning in mid-May, the body of a young woman is found in one of Notting Hill’s private gardens. To passersby, the pretty girl in the white dress looks as if she’s sleeping. But Reagan Keating has been murdered, and the lead detective, DI Kerry Boatman, turns to Gemma James for help. She and Gemma worked together on a previous investigation, and Gemma has a personal connection to the case: Reagan was the nanny of a child who attends the same dance studio as Toby, Gemma and Kincaid’s son.

Gemma soon discovers that Reagan’s death is the second tragedy in this exclusive London park; a few months before, a young boy died in a tragic accident. But when still another of the garden residents meets a violent end, it becomes clear that there are more sinister forces at play. Boatman and Gemma must stop the killer before another innocent life is taken.

While his wife is consumed with her new case, Kincaid finds himself plagued by disturbing questions about several previous—and seemingly unrelated—cases involving members of the force. If his suspicions are correct and the crimes are linked, are his family and friends in mortal danger as well? Kincaid’s hunch turns to certainty when a Metropolitan Police officer close to him is brutally attacked. There’s a traitor in the ranks, and now Kincaid wonders if he can trust anyone.

As Gemma begins to see a solution to her case, she realizes she holds a child’s fate in her hands. Can she do the right thing? And can Kincaid rely on his friends, both inside and outside the Scotland Yard force, to stand beside him as he faces the deadliest challenge of his career?

Garden of Lamentations is another well-plotted mystery by Deborah Crombie. There are two separate mysteries, peopled with numerous characters, but I was able to follow both threads without any trouble. This is most definitely not a stand-alone, although Crombie skillfully fills in the backstory to refresh her readers' memories of previous installments.

I started reading this series almost two years ago and am down to one more installment. If I read A Bitter Feast in January, I only have to wait a month for her new release (A Killing of Innocents) to be published. But then how long will I have to wait for the next installment? Wah!

10 comments:

  1. I think I say this each time you post about a Deborah Crombie, but I have yet to read one. I am going right now and putting her on my TBR list for 2023. Have a wonderful holiday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, I've enjoyed the later installments more than the first in the series. It took a few books before I felt like I connected with the main characters. I hope you enjoy them. Merry Christmas to you!

      Delete
  2. I wish sometimes that all the books in a series were already written so I could decide if I want to even start a series. Waiting is difficult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, that's why I've so enjoyed this series. I've been able to read one book each month without interruption. It really helps keep the flow of the ongoing storylines smooth and consistent.

      Delete
  3. I'm impressed that you've read 17 books in a series! I struggle with reading series. I think I could rarely find them all or find them all in order when I was a kid at the library so I've never felt much urgency to continue. I hope the wait for #19 isn't too long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jen, it's been a fun series to read over the past two years. Once I finish this series, I'll start in on Susan Hill's, which I've sampled a bit here and there.

      Delete
  4. Look at you! Almost caught up on the series and I think your plan of reading #18 in January is a good one. I'm really looking forward to the new one in February. Deborah Crombie is not a 'quick' writer at all. Ha! Ah well. It's not like we will run out of other books to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been so much fun reading these slowly over the past two years, Kay. I think you sent me a bunch of the first installments many years ago, didn't you? I now have a few of Susan Hill's to begin after the New Year. She's also a wonderful mystery writer, isn't she?

      Delete
  5. You've done great with this series. I finally spent some time jotting down where I am on some series I follow because of course I've fallen behind on all of them! I enjoy this series too so I need to get with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, I'm looking forward to getting caught up on this series, and moving on to another (by Susan Hill). It really helped to focus on one book a month.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!