December 31, 2022

Save Me the Plums

Nonfiction
2019 Random House Audio
Narrated by Ruth Reichl
Finished on December 26, 2022
Rating: 3/5 (Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

Trailblazing food writer and beloved restaurant critic Ruth Reichl took the job (and the risk) of a lifetime when she entered the glamorous, high-stakes world of magazine publishing. Now, for the first time, she chronicles her groundbreaking tenure as editor in chief of Gourmet, during which she spearheaded a revolution in the way we think about food.

When Condé Nast offered Ruth Reichl the top position at America's oldest epicurean magazine, she declined. She was a writer, not a manager, and had no inclination to be anyone's boss. And yet . . . Reichl had been reading Gourmet since she was eight; it had inspired her career. How could she say no?

This is the story of a former Berkeley hippie entering the corporate world and worrying about losing her soul. It is the story of the moment restaurants became an important part of popular culture, a time when the rise of the farm-to-table movement changed, forever, the way we eat. Readers will meet legendary chefs like David Chang and Eric Ripert, idiosyncratic writers like David Foster Wallace, and a colorful group of editors and art directors who, under Reichl's leadership, transformed stately Gourmet into a cutting-edge publication. This was the golden age of print media—the last spendthrift gasp before the Internet turned the magazine world upside down.

Complete with recipes, Save Me the Plums is a personal journey of a woman coming to terms with being in charge and making a mark, following a passion and holding on to her dreams—even when she ends up in a place she never expected to be.

I'm a huge fan of memoirs, particularly culinary memoirs, so when I heard about Save Me the Plums I quickly added it to my TBR list. I planned to read it a couple of years ago for Nonfiction November, but never got around to it. I put it on this year's list for the same reading challenge, but again, it never made the cut. I finally started listening to the audio early this month, but didn't get in a lot of listening time, and it took me almost a full month to finish the 8-hour audiobook.

I enjoyed parts of Reichl's memoir, but other parts were boring and full of too many unfamiliar names. I was never a subscriber to Gourmet magazine, nor have I ever lived in New York City, but maybe those who are more in tune to the now-defunct publication and the locale would have a greater appreciation for the author's name-dropping, both of restaurants & chefs, as well as staff at Conde Naste. 

The chapters which focus on the eating habits of Ruth's young son, her firsthand experiences during 9/11 (the Gourmet staff prepared meals to feed rescue workers), and her budget-friendly trip to Paris, were worthwhile. There are also several recipes (read, somewhat tediously, line by line in the audiobook) that I'd love to try, so I may take a peek at the print edition someday. I read Tender at the Bone decades ago and while I enjoyed the first half, I didn't love that book either. In 2014 I read her novel Delicious!, but wasn't overly impressed. I think it's safe to say that I've given her books a fair chance, and the end result is that I'm not a true Ruth Reichl fan.

Thank you Libro.fm for the complimentary copy.

10 comments:

  1. I've read Garlic and Sapphires and it was enjoyable but I wasn't eager to get another of her books. Then I tried another and abandoned it. Guess we are are on page (no pun intended!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina, nice to know I'm not alone! :)

      Delete
  2. Oh too bad. I'm not a foodie/cook per se so I usually skip the cook memoirs but I can see how they can be appealing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I enjoy the genre, but often times they're hit or miss.

      Delete
  3. You may have seen the review on my blog, but you might enjoy Blood Bones and Butter by Gabrielle Hamilton.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, I did see it and might give it a try. Someday. I have recently acquired a lot of new books (Merry Christmas from my mom!) and I think I have more than enough for the next year... or ten! ;)

      Delete
  4. Oh, I'm sorry this wasn't a hit for you... I really enjoyed the audio version and rated it 4.5 stars. Loved the look at Gourmet, the magazine industry in general, and NYC. I wasn't a fan of Tender at the Bone and never attempted her novel, but did go on to listen to Garlic and Sapphires. Gave that one 4 stars. It was about her experience as NYTimes restaurant critic and the disguises she used to dine anonymously. I do think familiarity with her work and NYC made both memoirs more enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, I was disappointed that it wasn't a winner for me, but it was good enough to complete. I think I'll pass on Garlic and Sapphires.

      Delete
  5. I read Tender at the Bone ages ago and don't remember anything about it. I don't think I was too interested in reading anything else by her though so I'd probably pass on this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, she definitely has a fan base, but her books haven't spoken to me. I probably won't read anything more by her.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!