January 31, 2023

Love & Saffron

 

Fiction
2022 G. P. Putnam's Sons
Finished on January 23, 2023
Rating: 5/5 (Outstanding)

Publisher's Blurb:

The #1 Indie Next Pick, in the vein of the classic 84, Charing Cross Road and Meet Me at the Museum, this witty and tender novel follows two women in 1960s America as they discover that food really does connect us all, and that friendship and laughter are the best medicine.

When twenty-seven-year-old Joan Bergstrom sends a fan letter--as well as a gift of saffron--to fifty-nine-year-old Imogen Fortier, a life-changing friendship begins. Joan lives in Los Angeles and is just starting out as a writer for the newspaper food pages. Imogen lives on Camano Island outside Seattle, writing a monthly column for a Pacific Northwest magazine, and while she can hunt elk and dig for clams, she's never tasted fresh garlic--exotic fare in the Northwest of the sixties. As the two women commune through their letters, they build a closeness that sustains them through the Cuban Missile Crisis, the assassination of President Kennedy, and the unexpected in their own lives.

Food and a good life--they can't be separated. It is a discovery the women share, not only with each other, but with the men in their lives. Because of her correspondence with Joan, Imogen's decades-long marriage blossoms into something new and exciting, and in turn, Joan learns that true love does not always come in the form we expect it to. Into this beautiful, intimate world comes the ultimate test of Joan and Imogen's friendship--a test that summons their unconditional trust in each other.

A brief respite from our chaotic world, Love & Saffron is a gem of a novel, a reminder that food and friendship are the antidote to most any heartache, and that human connection will always be worth creating.

Wow. Three 5-star reads in the first month of the year! I'm on a roll, thanks to all the great recommendations from fellow book lovers. There are so many wonderful things about living on the Oregon coast, but we are in dire need of a good bookstore, so unless we're on a road trip in the RV, I never get the opportunity to wander around and admire the new releases, or pick up a book based solely on its attractive cover art. I've grown to depend on bloggers, Instagrammers, Goodread's friends, and Ann Patchett's laydown diaries (on Parnassus Books' Instagram feed). I'm pretty sure that I heard about Love & Saffron from more than one of these platforms. 

Easily read in a single sitting, I forced myself to slowly savor the book, reading it over the course of two evenings. Going into the story cold, I was pleasantly surprised to see that it's comprised entirely of letters between the two main characters. (No, I didn't even read the book blurb, which would have revealed this fact.) I'm a huge fan of epistolary novels, and as I read, I envisioned scenes from 84, Charing Cross Road (starring Anne Bancroft and Anthony Hopkins). Like those two characters from Helene Hanff's marvelous book, Joan and Imogen not only exchange letters, but gifts of unique food items and recipes. Spanning the years between 1962 and 1966, the historical details are an added bonus (although I momentarily felt that Fay was working from a mental checklist--almost to the point of distraction--including the Cuban Missile Crisis, President Kennedy's assassination, the Beatles, a new TV show called The French Chef, starring Julia Child, etc.), as are the women's comments about their current reading material. In addition to 84, Charing Cross Road, Love & Saffron brings to mind the correspondences and friendship between Julia Child and Avis DeVoto. (Coincidentally, Imogen's husband discovers the joy of cooking and purchased a copy of Mastering the Art of French Cooking.)

There is so much to enjoy about this book (which I had to remind myself is fiction and not a culinary memoir). My love of the Pacific Northwest, and familiarity with Seattle and the surrounding area, is just one aspect of the story I relished. The sweet friendship between the two women reminded me of the importance of the special friends in my own life, and how one comes to cherish those kindred spirits.

Love & Saffron will enchant fans of Laurie Colwin, Ann Hood, Helene Hanff, and Erica Bauermeister. Highly recommend!

14 comments:

  1. I loved the movie 84 Charing Cross Road and have the book on hold at the library. Also, from your previous post I found a copy of Evenings at Five which I'll order tomorrow. The library didn't have it :-( I read Love and Saffron a while back (meaning it was probably 2 years!) I liked it, sad though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina, we've watched that movie several times, and I've read the book at least 3 or 4 times. Yes, Love & Saffron is sad, but I figured something was happening, so I was a little bit prepared... Glad you found a copy of Evenings at Five. I'm glad I decided to give it a reread. I think my opinion went from "good" to "great."

      Delete
  2. I loved this book! Brought back so many good memories of my BFF and I. Only differences were our ages weren't so far apart and we were next door neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, wasn't it wonderful? I have a good friend that I still keep in touch with via snail mail. Love getting those big, plump letters in the mail! We were next door neighbors for a while, too.

      Delete
  3. This was a favorite last year! I ended up loving it so much that I bought a copy to keep on my shelf. Glad it was a hit for you, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, I think I first heard about it from you! It was so good, and I know I'll read it again some day. Thanks for the recommendation. :)

      Delete
  4. I am so pleased for you that you've read 3 5-star books in a row. That would make me so happy (new reading goal!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, it helps to focus on all the great recommendations I found over the past year or so. :)

      Delete
  5. You are on a roll with the excellent reads! I'm a bit jealous :) This sounds so delightful and who doesn't love a story told in letters. I've added it to my wishlist for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, I really had a good month of reading in January, but so far February isn't as stellar. Good, but not great reads, so far. Love & Saffron is such a gem. I hope you get to read it soon!

      Delete
  6. This definitely sounds like a book I'll enjoy! And I love saffron, so that's another plus. :-) When I read your blog I often miss the PNW. It's such a special place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurel, it's one that I'll read again! I so enjoyed reading about their friendship. I hope you get a chance to come back to the PNW sometime. I would love to meet you face-to-face!

      Delete
  7. I've just Illed it and will come back to read your post when I've finished!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan, this is just your kind of book, me thinks! :)

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!