April 26, 2023

Go as a River

 

Fiction
2023 Spiegel & Grau
Finished on April 25, 2023
Rating: 3/5 (Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

In the spirit of Where the Crawdads Sing, and set amid the beauty and wilderness of the Colorado mountains, an unforgettable and deeply moving story of a young woman who follows her heart.

Seventeen-year-old Victoria Nash runs the household on her family's peach farm in the small ranch town of Iola, Colorado--the sole surviving female in a family of troubled men. Wilson Moon is a young drifter with a mysterious past, displaced from his tribal land but determined to live as he chooses.

Victoria's chance encounter with Wil on a street corner profoundly alters both of their young lives, igniting as much passion as danger. When tragedy strikes, Victoria leaves the only life she has ever known, fleeing into the nearby mountains. Taking shelter in a small hut, she struggles to survive in the wilderness, with no clear notion of what her future will be. As the seasons change, she also charts the changes in herself, finding in the natural world the strength and meaning that set her on a quest to regain all that she has lost, even as the Gunnison River rises to submerge her homeland--its ranches, farms, and the beloved peach orchard that has been in her family for generations.

Inspired by true events surrounding the destruction of the town of Iola in the 1960s, Go as a River is a story of deeply held love in the midst of hardship and loss, but also of finding courage, resilience, friendship, and finally, home--where least expected. This stunning debut explores what it means to lead your life as if it were a river--gathering and flowing, finding a way forward even when the river is dammed.

I first read about Shelley Read's debut novel early this year, and when I saw it on the new release shelf at the library, I decided to give it a try, knowing nothing about the premise of the story, only that several readers had given it a 5-star rating. I've been reading a lot of short novels this month and while this one (just over 300 pages) could have been read in a day or two, it took me a full week. I enjoy novels filled with lyrical detail, but too much detail becomes a distraction, or in this case, drags the narrative to a snail's pace. Unlike the beautiful descriptions of Beach Music (Pat Conroy), or the spare prose of Plainsong (Kent Haruf), Shelley Read's novel reminds me of Cold Mountain (Charles Frazier) in which Frazier devotes an entire page to a raindrop falling on a leaf (slight exaggeration, I admit). The first and last chapters of Go as a River, while filled with enough tension to keep me reading, are bookends to a plodding middle section in which Victoria leads a solitary existence with little interaction with others. I am not one to skim, but I was sorely tempted, eager to move on to the conclusion of the story. 

I have read numerous reviews stating this is "a stunning debut," "a beautifully descriptive novel," "a powerfully evocative story," and yet, once again, I'm in the minority.

18 comments:

  1. Well darn! I was all excited about this book until I got to "drags the narrative to a snail's pace".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, you might still enjoy it! If you're on Goodreads, take a look at the reviews. I'm definitely an outlier.

      Delete
  2. Think of a town being destroyed like that. I'll look it up. I know about towns that were flooded on purpose for a dam (one near me in fact) but I've not heard of an accidental destruction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan, your comment reminded me of a book that we both read by Anna Quindlen (Miller's Valley), which also speaks of an intentionally flooded community. From The New York Times, "the government steps in, deciding to flood “6,400 acres of old family farms and small ramshackle homes and turn it into a reservoir by using the dam to divert the river,” transforming corn fields into strip malls, drowning the valley under water, along with a way of life that has been perpetuating itself for generations. They’ll buy up homes and resettle everyone, insisting that new is so much better than old."

      Delete
  3. Oh, Les, this was a planned one, too. For "cheap electricity" they took away so much. Very good article here. Heartbreaking. https://www.denverpost.com/2018/12/22/blue-mesa-reservoir-drought-submerged-colorado-town/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nan. It is heartbreaking!

      Delete
  4. I'm always interested in novels set in the West, and strong women like Victoria are my favorite sorts of characters. I'm sorry this one was not a hit-out-of-the-park for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, my opinion differs from so many. You might very well enjoy this one!

      Delete
  5. Les, I hope you don't mind me commenting to nan here but I just read that article - that is indeed heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not at all, Tina! It's a very good article.

      Delete
  6. That sounds like a book I want to read- eventually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina, even though it was rather slow in the middle, I still gave it 3 stars. Something about it held my interest.

      Delete
  7. I just got this from the library - so I plan to check it out. I love Colorado so we will see. Sorry it didn't work for you. It looks not very long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, you're right. It isn't very long, which is why I kept reading. I look forward to reading your review. I have a feeling you'll enjoy the book.

      Delete
  8. There was a lot of buzz when this was released, but I haven't been inclined to pick it up. I do love Colorado, but there are just so many other books calling to me right now. Sorry this wasn't a big success for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, despite reading a lot of ho-hum books, which I discovered from readers on Instagram, I certainly can't dismiss the benefits of those reviews. I'm almost finished with Maame, which I hadn't heard about on any blogs, but saw several references to it on IG. It's fabulous! I'm going to be very sad when I finish it tonight. You would love it!

      Delete
    2. Les - I'm aware of Maame, but have not seen reviews on blogs. Thanks for the heads up... I'll take a closer look!

      Delete
    3. I'm probably going to finish it tonight. We have a lot of company arriving on Thursday, so we'll see if I can get a review up before then. At this point, it's a 4.5/5 or 5/5 star rating!

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!