May 15, 2023

Stoner

 

Fiction/Classic
2010 Blackstone Audio (first published in 1965)
Narrated by Robin Field
Finished on May 14, 2023
Rating: 2/5 (OK)

Publisher's Blurb:

William Stoner is born at the end of the nineteenth century into a dirt-poor Missouri farming family. Sent to the state university to study agronomy, he instead falls in love with English literature and embraces a scholar’s life, so different from the hardscrabble existence he has known. And yet as the years pass, Stoner encounters a succession of disappointments: marriage into a “proper” family estranges him from his parents; his career is stymied; his wife and daughter turn coldly away from him; a transforming experience of new love ends under threat of scandal. Driven ever deeper within himself, Stoner rediscovers the stoic silence of his forebears and confronts an essential solitude.

John Williams’s luminous and deeply moving novel is a work of quiet perfection. William Stoner emerges from it not only as an archetypal American, but as an unlikely existential hero, standing, like a figure in a painting by Edward Hopper, in stark relief against an unforgiving world.

It's been at least a decade since I first heard about Stoner, most likely by reading several reviews by fellow bloggers. I decided to give the audio production a try, and Robin Field does a decent job with the narration, but this may have been one to read in print; the melancholy tone is at times overwhelming, adding to the bleakness of the story. Stoner is a quiet novel, and while I came to care about the main character, the book failed to live up to my expectations. It brought to mind The Winter of Our Discontent (Steinbeck), and Stoner's neurotic wife, coincidentally, reminded me of Cathy, the despicable character in another Steinbeck novel, East of Eden

13 comments:

  1. It's upsetting when you don't end up liking a book. Thanks for your review, it's a pass for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, you might want to read JoAnn's comment below. She loved the book.

      Delete
  2. I have never even heard of this book! Too bad it wasn't a success for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. JoAnne loved it. She blogged about it in 2013 (here)

      Delete
  3. I was thinkning of joining the Classics Club but not sure if this would be a good addition to my list. I'm not sure I can come up with 50 books for a list! That's a great review. Bummer you were disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina, I struggle with classics. There are so many that I have felt I *should* read, but they wind up to be big disappointments. I should create a post/collage of those that I've read and enjoyed. Ah-ha! I just discovered an old post in which I wrote about my favorite classics. If you need any ideas, here you go: https://lesleysbooknook.blogspot.com/2006/10/favorite-classics.html

      Delete
  4. I remember this as a quiet, introspective read with gorgeous writing. Also remember thinking this wouldn't be for everyone and you'd need to be in just the right mood for it. But I'm not sure how it would be on audio. After reading your review, I'd guess it probably took away from the writing.

    Funny you mention Winter of Our Discontent... that's probably the novel that made me love Steinbeck. I read it when I was a senior in high school (for an American Lit elective) and was probably too young to fully appreciate it. But it made me want to read everything by Steinbeck!

    Back to Williams, last summer I bought a copy of his novel Butcher's Crossing. It's a western, which I never read, but I'm going to give it a try this summer. Really want to reread Stoner, too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, I'm sorry I didn't read the print version, but it may still have been a miss for me since it's been a busy month and I might not have been in the right mood for it.

      I liked Winter of Our Discontent, but it was The Grapes of Wrath that made me love Steinbeck when I read it in high school (sophomore year English). I went on to read more by Steinbeck and loved East of Eden. Someday, I'll reread TGoW.

      Delete
  5. I found a copy of Stoner a few months ago, and I just put it on my 20 Books of Summer list. Now I'm tempted to strike it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suggest you give it a try anyway, Deb. JoAnn thought it was fabulous.

      Delete
  6. Yeah I read this one in print. but it is pretty bleak. Some decent writing though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, part of me wishes I had started with the print edition. As much as I love audiobooks, sometimes the beautiful writing isn't as apparent as in print.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!