May 21, 2023

The Pure in Heart

 

Simon Serrailler #2
Mystery
2007 The Overlook Press (first published in 2005)
Finished on May 17, 2023
Rating: 4/5 (Very Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

A little boy is snatched as he stands with his satchel at the gate of his home, waiting for his lift to school. A severely handicapped young woman hovers between life and death. And an ex-con finds it impossible to go straight. The Pure in Heart is a crime novel arising from character and circumstances, about the psychology of crime, something more enthralling than plain thrillers or whodunits. In Lafferton, Serrailler's town, Susan Hill has brilliantly created a community with detail so sharp and true to life that readers feel that these people are their own neighbors and friends. But there is terror and evil in their very midst. There are no easy answers in The Pure of Heart, a magnificent novel about the realities of police work and the sometimes desperate humanity of family. Haunting and truthful, gripping and convincing, it is a thrilling achievement.

I recently re-read The Various Haunts of Men (the first in the Simon Serrailler series), and I plan to read all twelve installments over the course of a year. As with Deborah Crombie's Kincaid/James series, I've quickly come to care about Simon and his co-workers and extended family. The fictional cathedral community of Lafferton (as well as the cast of characters) is fully drawn, and as in Crombie's books, a detailed map of the town and surroundings is included in the endpapers. 

It took me a few chapters to get engrossed in the mystery, as various characters are introduced and their plights established, but once hooked, I couldn't put the book down, savoring the final chapters. I'm pleased to report that The Pure in Heart is equally as entertaining as The Various Haunts of Men. I'm eager to start The Risk of Darkness!

Note: I've only read two installments, but I strongly suggest that this series is read in order, unless the revelation of major spoilers isn't an issue.

10 comments:

  1. I like a series and when I pay attention, I always start with the first book. I like the character development and I don't want spoilers. Sadly, I have started book 3 on some series by not paying attention - particularly the Tana French Dublin Murder Squad books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina, the good thing about Tana French's books is that they're basically stand-alones with one character carried over from one of her other books. There are several that I would love to read again, especially The Likeness and Faithful Place. Such good writing!

      Delete
    2. Anonymous7:11 PM

      The Likeness is probably my favorite. Funny you mention Faithful Place, that’s the first one I read, not realizing it wasn’t her first book.

      I ordered the Various Haunts of Men from ThriftBooks tonight. Our library doesn’t have it and it sounds interesting. Thanks for the suggestion!
      It’s Tina / Squirrel Head Manor. I always come up as anonymous when I comment using my iPhone 🧐

      Delete
    3. Tina, The Likeness was so intense. I kept waiting for her to get caught!! Hope you enjoy Th Various Haunts of Men. It sets the stage for the next book, which I think is a tiny bit better. Happy reading!

      Delete
  2. I'm not good about reading a series in order, but it seems like that would be very important in mysteries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, they mystery series that I enjoy have the same cast of characters throughout, and I enjoy seeing where their lives lead. Sometimes there's a birth of a child, or the end of a relationship, or a death (unrelated to the murder mystery). Those are the spoilers I don't want to read. The mysteries themselves tend to stand alone, although there are instances in which details of one might be revealed in a later installment simply as a passing remark between detectives. I did read one thriller out of order many years ago, and that inspired me to start a series that I might otherwise have skipped.

      Delete
  3. This sounds like a good series, I haven't read any of them (yet).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, I'm enjoying it. Might have to make a quick trip to the library for the next two before we head out of town!

      Delete
  4. I had to go back and see when I read this series - it was 2015. I think I read 8 books that year or rather listened to them. I'm a bit fuzzy on the details other than that I enjoyed the books very much. You say there are 10 now and I'm fairly certain that I haven't read #9 or #10. I'll try to do that before long. Glad you're taking this series on this year, Les.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, there are a total of 12 books in the series (I have 10 remaining), so you have a few more to enjoy! :)

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!