July 18, 2023

Exiles

 

Exiles by Jane Harper
Aaron Falk, #3
Mystery
2023 Flatiron Books
Finished on July 17, 2023
Rating: 3/5 (Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

At a busy festival site on a warm spring night, a baby lies alone in her pram, her mother vanishing into the crowds.

A year on, Kim Gillespie’s absence casts a long shadow as her friends and loved ones gather deep in the heart of South Australian wine country to welcome a new addition to the family.

Joining the celebrations is federal investigator Aaron Falk. But as he soaks up life in the lush valley, he begins to suspect this tight-knit group may be more fractured than it seems.

Between Falk’s closest friend, a missing mother, and a woman he’s drawn to, dark questions linger as long-ago truths begin to emerge.

An outstanding novel, a brilliant mystery and a heart-pounding read from the author of The Dry, Force of Nature, The Lost Man and The Survivors.

I've read all of Jane Harper's books and I liked this one better than The Survivors, but not as much as The Dry or The Lost Man. Exiles is a very, very slow burn and I was tempted to give up (the plotting is tedious and lacks tension), but I eventually grew more interested, eager to see if my early assumptions were correct. If you're a patient reader, and have enjoyed Harper's earlier works, borrow this one from the library. It's not one I'll read twice.

10 comments:

  1. I have this one my TBR shelf so thank you for the warning that it's a slow burn. That will help me when I get around to reading it. I have enjoyed her previous books as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, it's definitely worthwhile and I'm not at all sorry that I read it, but I had been looking for a "great" read and this one misses the mark.

      Delete
  2. I've had this one but not read it yet. I do know that Harper has said this is her last Aaron Falk book and I'm sad about that. And I've heard a couple of opinions that are similar to yours. Maybe I should just go back and reread THE DRY. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kay!! I'm sorry to hear that this is the last installment of the Aaron Falk books. :( Knowing that, you might want to read this one!

      Delete
  3. Yeah I wonder if I fizzled a bit on this author. I've read most of her books and lately no longer feel a need for them. But I like Falk though I wonder if I would make it to the end. Hmm. I'm sorry he is leaving though. I pictured him as Eric Bana who is pretty hot and played him in the movie of The Dry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, I'm not sure I'll read any more by Harper, but we'll see. I did enjoy The Lost Man quite a bit.

      Delete
  4. It's a bit sad that the last in the series is a bit of a dud, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, it is a bit sad. Maybe Harper needs to continue with stand-alones. The Lost Man was really good.

      Delete
  5. Ah, well. I did love The Dry and The Lost Man enough to reread so I'll just wait to see if I can either find a secondhand copy of The Exiles or borrow it, as you suggested. She seems to do best when she's describing the harsh environment in Australia than when she turns to softer settings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy, I agree. I think a big part of her successful novels is the inclusion of a harsh environment. It wasn't as prominent in Exiles as in The Dry or The Lost Man.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!