August 30, 2023

Ocean State

 

Ocean State by Stewart O'Nan
Fiction
2022 Atlantic Monthly Press
Finished on August 28, 2023
Rating: 2/5 (Fair) - reduced on 9/1 from 3/5 (Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

Set in a working-class town on the Rhode Island coast, O'Nan's latest is a crushing, beautifully written, and profoundly compelling novel about sisters, mothers, and daughters, and the terrible things love makes us do.

In the first line of Ocean State, we learn that a high school student was murdered, and we find out who did it. The story that unfolds from there with incredible momentum is thus one of the build-up to and fall-out from the murder, told through the alternating perspectives of the four women at its heart. Angel, the murderer, Carol, her mother, and Birdy, the victim, all come alive on the page as they converge in a climax both tragic and inevitable. Watching over it all is the retrospective testimony of Angel's younger sister Marie, who reflects on that doomed autumn of 2009 with all the wisdom of hindsight. Angel and Birdy love the same teenage boy, frantically and single mindedly, and are compelled by the intensity of their feelings to extremes neither could have anticipated. O'Nan's expert hand paints a fully realized portrait of these women, but also weaves a compelling and heartbreaking story of working-class life in Ashaway, Rhode Island. Propulsive, moving, and deeply rendered, Ocean State is a masterful novel by one of our greatest storytellers.

Meh. I was tempted to give Ocean State a 2/5 rating, but rounded up since it kept me reading late in the night, eager to learn the outcome of the murder. [Dropped it down to a 2/5 after giving it more thought.] I didn't care for any of the characters, and thought both girls were naive and foolish, trapped in a love triangle gone wrong. I also found it somewhat difficult to keep track of the two main characters until I was several chapters into the book. I have read other novels by O'Nan, which were much more relatable. Emily, Alone and Henry, Himself are two of my favorite books by this author. 

If you don't mind a lot of teenage angst, and enjoy Stewart O'Nan's writing, borrow this one from the library. 

My reviews for the books I've read of O'Nan's:

Emily, Alone (4.75/5)



12 comments:

  1. Yeah maybe I will skip this one as I've heard others not like it that much either. But I'd be game to try the one you gave 5 stars. I don't think I've read any of this author's books but I know he's quite renowned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I'll be interested to hear how you like his books, if & when you get the chance to read one. He's kindof hit-or-miss with me.

      Delete
  2. Not caring for the characters, for whatever reason, is just the kiss of death for a book. I am glad the mystery kept you going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, it really is the kiss of death, isn't it? There wasn't much of a mystery, either. Just wanted to find out what happened to the person responsible for the murder (and how it happened). Not really worth my time and I'm tempted to drop the rating to a 2/5.

      Delete
  3. Sometimes I plow through a book even if I'm not loving the characters but lately I am abandoning the books that don't thrill me. I have so many in the lineup waiting for me :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina, I have abandoned a lot this summer. I can actually see a few gaps on the shelves of my TBR bookcase!

      Delete
  4. I feel like this is an author I've been meaning to read but haven't gotten around to. I will have to look for the higher rated books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iliana, I'd love to know if you ever read any by O'Nan. I won't give up on him, but this was a disappointment.

      Delete
  5. I would surely hate the book, but I love your review!
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae, the more I respond to comments for this review, the more I think I should lower the rating. I really didn't care for the book! Glad you enjoyed my review. :)

      Delete
  6. This was a DNF for me... so disappointing! I loved Emily, Alone and Last Night at the Lobster - both 5 stars for me. Wish You Were Here was a solid 4 stars, as was The Odds. West of Sunset was pretty disappointing, too. I still want to read Henry, Himself though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, I only kept reading in order to find out how it would end. Probably should have quit since it wound up with a 2 star rating. I'll have to try The Odds. If you loved Emily, Alone, you'll love Henry, Himself!

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!