October 22, 2023

Fellowship Point

 

Fellowship Point by Alice Elliott Dark
Fiction
2022 Marysue Rucci Books
Finished on October 10, 2023
Rating: 5/5 (Excellent)

Publisher's Blurb:

Celebrated children’s book author Agnes Lee is determined to secure her legacy—to complete what she knows will be the final volume of her pseudonymously written Franklin Square novels; and even more consuming, to permanently protect the peninsula of majestic coast in Maine known as Fellowship Point. To donate the land to a trust, Agnes must convince shareholders to dissolve a generations-old partnership. And one of those shareholders is her best friend, Polly.

Polly Wister has led a different kind of life than Agnes: that of a well-off married woman with children, defined by her devotion to her husband, a philosophy professor with an inflated sense of stature. She strives to create beauty and harmony in her home, in her friendships, and in her family. Polly soon finds her loyalties torn between the wishes of her best friend and the wishes of her three sons—but what is it that Polly wants herself?

Agnes’s designs are further muddied when an enterprising young book editor named Maud Silver sets out to convince Agnes to write her memoirs. Agnes’s resistance cannot prevent long-buried memories and secrets from coming to light with far-reaching repercussions for all.

It's been a couple of weeks since I finished reading this marvelous novel, and while it took me over three weeks to read, I'm still thinking about Agnes, Polly, and Maud, wishing I could return to Fellowship Point and their stories. Fellowship Point is a literary work with a strong sense of place and unforgettable characters. It took me several chapters before I was fully immersed in the story (and I didn't care for a few of the men), but I loved the friendship (80 years long!) between Agnes & Polly. Friends and neighbors their entire lives, this is an epic friendship, though not without its faults...

I guessed one of the plot twists, but not most significant one, which was a lovely surprise and almost had me shouting, "No way!" Alice Elliott Dark is a new-to-me author, and I plan to jump into her backlist as soon as possible with hopes for a new novel in the coming years.  

Some random passages that spoke to me:
Rarely did she have to compromise for anyone, a privilege she did not take for granted and refused to squander. She was eighty, but she had not slowed down. Just the opposite. Her remaining work was urgent, and she was well aware of working alongside the specter of the unknown moment of her last breath.

and

The world through the looking glass, the parallel universe where life is as it should be, so close to us yet impenetrable except when we accept the graces and the love offered to us. What I have learned is the grace and love are offered all the time, in every new moment, at every glimpse of the sky, or dawn of a day that has never before existed, or squirrel skittering along a branch, or a conversation with a sister or a friend, or the sense of time suspended when reading a good book. We are free, always, to accept what is offered; it is we who don't recognize this. This is our free will. The result is what we call our experience, which in turn forms our beliefs. There are a lot of bad ideas in the world. I have less and less patience with any ideas at all. Animals, flowers, the sea. Friends. Children. Art. The end.

Is it too soon for a second reading? Perhaps on audio? Fellowship Point may just be my favorite book of 2023.


I have to include this photo from my neighborhood. It reminds me so much of the cover art for Fellowship Point!

12 comments:

  1. This is a new to me author. I love the cover and the book sounds really good. I added it to my list for '24. I love the second passage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, I just added a photo from my neighborhood that looks very much like the cover art. Hope you enjoy the book. I'm eager to try her other books!

      Delete
  2. Your new header is gorgeous! I had that book checked out and everything was coing due near the same time so, I turned it in with plans to get it later. I had to suspend everything on my holds list when we went to Nebraska because the waits were too long to get "back in line"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tina. I took that fall photo while we were on Vancouver Island.

      I hope you get to this book soon. It was outstanding. Hope you had a good time in Nebraska!

      Delete
  3. Wow that photo does look like the front book cover! Perhaps you could help design books with your photos! lol. Good to know you liked this one a great deal. Sounds like quite a friendship story from Maine. whoa book of the year?! I think I saw this one somewhere -- did JoAnn read it earlier? Sounds like it has some secrets in its midst. 592 pages! congrats on another long read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! That would be a fun job, Susn.

      Yes, JoAnn read it earlier, which is probably where I first heard about it. Definitely a keeper for a second reading. The pages eventually flew, so it didn't really feel like a huge book.

      Delete
  4. Wow, gorgeous photo!! I'm so glad you loved the book. It's been over a year since I read it and Agnes and Polly are still on my mind... such a memorable story! I remember it starting slowly and then I got a little bogged down in the middle - probably due to life being especially busy right then. I love Maine but we haven't visited since before the pandemic... that's made the setting even more irresistible. Just finished two Maine novels back-to-back this month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, I've never been to Maine, but it sure appeals. Not sure if we'd ever make it out there with the RV, but I'd love to explore the area some day. I hope to get to those other two Maine novels later in the year or early 2024. Thanks for the recs!

      Delete
  5. I love that your neighborhood matches the book cover, they are both beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Helen. We are very fortunate to live in such a beautiful area!

      Delete
  6. I found Fellowship Point to be an excellent read. I'm glad you did, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, it really is an excellent read. I hope to try more by the author.

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!