January 31, 2024

Small Mercies

 

Small Mercies by Dennis Lehane
Fiction - Mystery/Crime
2023
Finished on January 27, 2024
Rating: 4.5/5 (Very Good)

Publisher's Blurb:

The acclaimed New York Times bestselling writer returns with a masterpiece to rival Mystic River —an all-consuming tale of revenge, family love, festering hate, and insidious power, set against one of the most tumultuous episodes in Boston’s history.

In the summer of 1974 a heatwave blankets Boston and Mary Pat Fennessy is trying to stay one step ahead of the bill collectors. Mary Pat has lived her entire life in the housing projects of “Southie,” the Irish American enclave that stubbornly adheres to old tradition and stands proudly apart.

One night Mary Pat’s teenage daughter Jules stays out late and doesn’t come home. That same evening, a young Black man is found dead, struck by a subway train under mysterious circumstances. The two events seem unconnected. But Mary Pat, propelled by a desperate search for her missing daughter, begins turning over stones best left untouched—asking questions that bother Marty Butler, chieftain of the Irish mob, and the men who work for him, men who don’t take kindly to any threat to their business.

Set against the hot, tumultuous months when the city’s desegregation of its public schools exploded in violence, Small Mercies is a superb thriller, a brutal depiction of criminality and power, and an unflinching portrait of the dark heart of American racism. It is a mesmerizing and wrenching work that only Dennis Lehane could write.

Years ago, I was a huge fan of Dennis Lehane, reading the entire Kenzie-Gennaro series, which I loved, although the final installment (Moonlight Mile) was a disappointment. I don't think I read Mystic River, but I loved the movie. And Shutter Island (book and movie) is outstanding. But it's been a long time since I've picked up any of Lehane's works. I went into Small Mercies cold, not even reading the publisher's blurb on the book jacket. This stand-alone would make a great movie, and I found myself picturing a few of the cast members from The Sopranos. The book is gritty, and Mary Pat is a kick-ass Southie whom I wouldn't want to cross! The racist attitudes and ugly language are especially hard to read, and sadly, so much of Lehane's commentary is still a part of this country's ills. And yet, while difficult to read, I couldn't stop. The pacing is tight, and I could feel my blood pressure creeping up as Mary Pat dealt with her demons, both visible and invisible. The issue of busing is more of a backdrop than a central theme, but Lehane gives us a lot to think about with regard to racism, and the novel would be an excellent choice for a book group discussion. Highly recommend.

8 comments:

  1. Of course I have heard of this author, but I really didn't know what sort of stories he writes. Thanks for sharing your thoughts about this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, I'm thinking about re-reading the Kenzie-Gennaro series, which was so well-written. It was the first mystery series that I read that had lyrical passages. Loved it. And Shutter Island is such a great story, too!

      Delete
  2. Yeah I loved this one as an audio last summer. Wow it has a lot of the attitudes of the time & place and the characters really come alive. It's gritty but feels very real from the cop to tough Mary Pat. I'm glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I forgot to mention the cop. I'd like to see more of him in another book by Lehane. Good characters in this one! I'll bet the audio was entertaining.

      Delete
  3. I agree with your assessment. Pat is someone you want on your side if things are going to get ugly! The lives they lead, the violence, the racism are all hard to read, but real and so well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, I would definitely want to be on the good side of Mary Pat rather than the bad side! She doesn't mess around, does she? Tough gal.

      Delete
  4. I have read a couple of Lehane's books and liked them. Mystic River (liked the book way more than the movie) and Shutter Island. This one sounds like a god one for my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina, this is a really good stand-alone, but if you want to get into a great series, give Lehane's Kenzie-Gennaro books a try. I loved them!

      Delete

I may not answer your comments in a timely fashion, but I always answer. Check back soon!